Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Toolmans Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/toolmans-oven-2647.html)

toolman 09-27-2007 07:13 PM

Toolmans Oven

1 Attachment(s)
As promised I will document the progress of my oven. It's going to be a Quebec (I think that's what they call it) type of oven.

This is the start where I layed out the blocks to get an idea of size and placement.

toolman 09-27-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Toolmans Oven

4 Attachment(s)
Progress

I concreted the blocks in place and put a base board in to retain the vermiculite/cement layer. The 2" vermiculite/cement layer was then poured.

toolman 09-27-2007 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Progress

Once the vermiculite was cured I boxed up for the hearth.

toolman 09-27-2007 07:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Progress

After boxing I welded up the steel reinforcement for the hearth slab. I did it this was as I has a lot of scrap steel and I could form it to give maximum strength where needed.

Note roof over boxed area. This was to stop the rain getting into the vermiculite layer.

toolman 09-27-2007 07:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Progress

Heath slab has now been poured:)

You can just pick it in one of the pics, a thermocouple wire coming out of the slab. This will be inserted into the oven floor.

Last diagram is the slab construction.

For anybody wondering, I chose to go with 2 layers of vermiculite as it wasn't that expensive to do this and it covered both bases I figured. The old way of constructing on a slab with vermiculite underneath and the new way of constructing directly on the vermiculite layer. I suppose only time will tell if I got it right.

I couldn't help myself. I had to fill it with wood :D

dmun 09-27-2007 08:26 PM

Wow that's great. When I saw your first 2" of vermiculite under the slab I was worried, but that's just an extra layer.

And that roof! That's better than some of us have on our permanent enclosures. What is that stuff, aluminum decking or something?

christo 09-29-2007 08:07 AM

Really nice!!! How much time do you have in it so far?

Christo

El Puaco 09-29-2007 10:51 PM

You've done some nice touches that vary a bit from what I've seen before. I like the look of it. Anything new for the dome phase?

toolman 09-30-2007 03:11 AM

No progress to date. The family has been keeping me busy.

In response to the questions;

The roof is made of corrugated plastic. It's just like corrugated cardboard but made of plastic. I got a heap of it from a factory that was throwing it out. I had so much of it I used it for the boxing of the hearth slab.

I have about 12 hours in this project so far but I think that the time input will increase dramatically when the oven construction starts.

I hope to pour the vermiculite/cement fondou this week. I'll post pics when done.

Dave

Brauma 10-03-2007 10:36 AM

Very nice, Dave. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.