Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   Todd's Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/todds-oven-4760.html)

toddj 08-11-2008 10:42 PM

Todd's Oven

4 Attachment(s)
This is the beginning of my 42" build in North Texas.

Jed 08-11-2008 11:03 PM

Re: Todd's Oven

Todd,

Looks like you are off to a great start, and about ready to build your dome. I like your work, it is clean and orderly.

How are you planning to finish the exterior?

JED

toddj 08-11-2008 11:12 PM

Thanks Jed,

I am going up to the top of the dome with 4" block walls and stone, then a peaked roof. The dome gets a 2" Aluminum silicate blanket then loose fill vermiculite to the roof

Modthyrth 08-12-2008 12:40 AM

What a neat mix of bricks for the facade. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the build.

Kemo 08-12-2008 08:22 AM

subscribed

toddj 08-12-2008 10:02 AM

Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?

I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!! Bet my neighbours would love that...

Modthyrth 08-12-2008 10:07 AM

Hahahah--love the whistle idea! That's much more fun than a temperature gauge.

Ken524 08-12-2008 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddj (Post 38834)
Thanks guys, I went with 6" of vermiculite/portland mix on top and I know the plans call for 3.5" .... is this ok?

More insulation is better. Sounds ok to me!

Quote:

I am thinking about incorporating a small flash boiler tank and an antique train whistle so when the oven reaches temperature the digital gauge closes the relay contacts and injects a shot of water in to the flash boiler giving the whistle a shot of steam... Pizza alert!!
Oh MAN, that will be TOO COOL!! If you do it, I would love to see the details and pics (even a video of it working!?)

dbhansen 08-12-2008 02:49 PM

I concur - the whistle would be a unique and awesome idea! Would it have to rely on the ambient oven temp or could you link it to a thermocouple embedded in the floor, for example, so it whistles when the temps have equalized and it's truly ready for pizza?

toddj 08-12-2008 03:30 PM

The transmitting thermocouples I am using feed 4-20ma signal to a digital temp display that can drive a relay at a set point. If I set the set temp to say 700f and have it drive a solonoid pushing a bimba cylinder with a check valve it can give a regulated shot of water into a flash chamber made of standard steel or stainless water pipe with a pipe thread end cap bottom and a reducer top. connect the reducer to a pressure line to the whistel and woo.. woo.. Il do a drawing later..