Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Tent takes flight

Sorry to hear about your tent taking off there. I have the same delema. I have now put my tent on skider blanks so I can drag the whole thing out of the way for fires but it s a bit of a pain and I am always wondering how much wind will it take to raise this thing up and maybee hurt my stack. On the Sunshine Coast here in BC Canada we get a lot of wind in the winter. 70 to 100k every other week it seems. Still very glad I got the tent though as I started in August to build and winter has def set in here. Thanks for the pictures I noa will drive a few extra hold downs in place....wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wayne et all, please head my advice. Using 4 blocks for the corners inside works great! For those 60+ winds, use 4 additional on outside corners, this way your tent will not move. Lastly, you may want to use those snapable o rings and pierce the middle bottom exterior of tent walls, then rope, and stake that down. This way winds can't lift and rip the walls. Trust me, you save time and energy now by doing it.

Acoma's Tuscan:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Master Builder

DMUN -

They can't post links/photos, but you can get around this by having them in your signature.
Another hole for James to plug.

Yes they are advertising sites and not advertising FB
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If this coward that lives in the dark of someone's anus is able to grow a spine, maybe they will contribute to society in a productive manner. For now, they live at Grandma's, married to a blow up doll, and try to date their cousin.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Journeyman

Seems like James took care of it.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was a bit out of line when I made the statement. I guess it is an insult to our time when people do that. Sorry and thanks James.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,
No need to apologize, I kinda like your fire. He's(shes?) the one imposing. Good call by dmun

-
Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim,
A sad day here, but I immediately thought of you.

We got about an inch of really wet snow last night. My wife was out playing with the kids for a few minutes, then came rushing to the door -

"have you seen the canopy?" she said.

Having seen the wetness of the white stuff, I knew it couldn't be good. Might as well have some fun with it so I grabbed my camera and went out the door to find this disaster of a canopy. All bent and twisted - a total loss! On the bright side, the stakes held exceptionally well!

The cold weather does have an occasional upside. I found this unusual ice crystalization pattern on the patio table the other morning. The dust from the concrete polishing may be the source of what I'm calling "Ice Ferns". Perhaps palm trees. I'm still undecided.....

Have a great day!
Attached Thumbnails
Tent takes flight-canopy.jpg   Tent takes flight-ice.jpg  

-
Old 01-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bad year for tents I guess..........

and another one bites the dust!

sorry bout your luck George!

but the ice pattern is way cool

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Jim,
A sad day here, but I immediately thought of you.

We got about an inch of really wet snow last night. My wife was out playing with the kids for a few minutes, then came rushing to the door -

"have you seen the canopy?" she said.

Having seen the wetness of the white stuff, I knew it couldn't be good. Might as well have some fun with it so I grabbed my camera and went out the door to find this disaster of a canopy. All bent and twisted - a total loss! On the bright side, the stakes held exceptionally well!

The cold weather does have an occasional upside. I found this unusual ice crystalization pattern on the patio table the other morning. The dust from the concrete polishing may be the source of what I'm calling "Ice Ferns". Perhaps palm trees. I'm still undecided.....

Have a great day!
Hey George,

First, that is a way-cool phenomenon. And I am so sorry for the problem with your enclosure. But I have been thinking about this a bit and there are some disturbing parallels that should give us both (and others) pause.

As a backdrop, the time we spend on our oven and on this forum comes from somewhere . . . and someone.

And

I too (for months) took over and used our patio furniture (including table) as a work surface, staging area and catch all.

Finally

as you mention it, it occurs to me that it was my wife as well who was the first to "discover" and reveal to me the problem of my tent.

How foolish of me not to recognize the signs. I am going to go now to my wife to see if I can get her to fess up. You start with the kids and ask them if mom was really playing with them at the time of this most recent incident.

I say most recent because I think further investigation into Dusty's tent, Ken's arch and Dave's displaced brick will bring us all closer to the truth - - there is a forum out there somewhere for victims of Forno Bravo and they are beginning to rise up.

All that said, now that you find yourself in the market, allow me to plug ez-up once again, its resilience was proven with my crash, and it is great at keeping the elements at bay when properly afixed to the ground. They also have a great guarantee (I own no stock just one of their tents).

Jim