Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Serf

Default Re: Starting a 42 pompeii

Starting a 42 pompeii-dscn0029.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-dscn0030.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-dscn0031.jpg
I am getting the hang of downloading pics. the build so far this is a very slow process trying to work between weather, and other projects and working to pay for all of this, but it will be well worth it.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Starting a 42 pompeii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler Bob View Post
Thanks for the pics. I will Download a pic as soon as I can. I got the blocks all stacked and am ready to pour the voids. Should I leave a foot of rebar out so I can bend it into the hearth slab? We are having crappy weather wind and rain, so I work when I can. I think oven builders are a committed bunch, ah, for the love of pizza.
It looks like you are golden in your planning for the rebar. Just bend it over and wire it to the horizontal rebar for the hearth and you'll have a strong and unified perch for the oven

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Serf

I have a couple of questions but I don't know where to ask them. #1. I bought perlite already but it turns out it is the block fill kind, for block insulation. Will it work for pearlcrete insulation? #2 Will adding fireclay to sackrete hs mortar work for setting the fire brick for the dome? I thought somebody on the forum has done this and I am wondering how it worked. Thanks to the forum for all of the help and insight.
Boiler Bob
Old 04-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Serf

[IMG]PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand[/IMG]
I got the hearth poured today 25 sackrete,mixed in a wheelbarrow and sholved.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Serf

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-003.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-009.jpg
these are some photos that I took as I went along. Nothing fancy but i think it will work. I am using the indispensible tool to build.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Serf

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-010.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-012.jpg

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-014.jpg
The fins are a pain in the neck to get right. Once you get them in place for the last chain and the keystone leave them until you get done. Some things didn't turn out just right but when the mortar gets hard its tough to change.
bob
Old 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Laborer

Looks like you have a great start. I will be watching avidly. Maybe I can get down there in person sometime.
Bevan
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Serf

Starting a 42 pompeii-ovenpics2-021.jpg
Finally the first fire. Lots more to do after this but I am starting to dry out the oven. I found a couple of cracks on the outside but no smoke coming out any where. I am working on everything around it now especially the roof I have to get the mostly finished so I can insulate. I try to do a little bit everyday. It won't be long before pizza and bread.
boiler bob
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Laborer

Looks good. Did you get your insulating blanket at EJ Bartells? If so can I ask what it cost?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Serf

I didn't buy the blanket at bartels because we had some left over from some work we did on boiler doors. Partial rolls and some strips and pieces. (some manager wanted to toss them because they were "in the way", so I took him at his word). I priced bartels and they quoted me $67 plus shipping for a box, which is, I think 50 sq.ft. of kaowool blanket. That was at the portland store it might be different in Spokane. All of the refractory suppliers have board also but it is very expensive. I think FB has the best deal on board. I hope this helps.
regards
Boiler Bob