Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Starting 42" NW Pensylvania

It has not stopped raining here for weeks, 18.75" have fallen since May 1 . As you can see from my photograph I have not made much progress due to the rain, only two more chains completed.

I was warned by Boylanta a builder/forum member not to use FB board due to his constant worries of getting it wet during his build. I can not stress enough what a bad decision it was for me to use FB board.

Am I worrying to much? I need someone to weigh in how concerned I need to be about it getting damp/wet, am I going to have structural problems? I keep it tarped but even so it seems to be very moist when I uncover it due to curing concrete/small leaks of rain.

Help
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1773-large-.jpg  
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

your FB board shouldn't be a problem if you have kept your oven tarped. I am more curious about your hearth, which appears to be slab on grade. Did you add anything to waterproof the concrete? If not, wicking is likely to be an issue. Could be that you are getting moisture coming up through the slab if you have had that much rain.

I built my oven the same way (slab on grade), but added xypex to the hearth concrete mix to prevent wicking. If you didn't do something like this, you'll have problems. You'll need to dig some pretty substantial french drains around the oven to carry away moisture.

edit: read back to the start of your thread. My $.02 is that plastic vapor barrier is probably not sufficient by itself to prevent wicking. Water is going to find its way in through the edges, through condensate. If your board is covered and still feeling wet, I suspect that's the issue. I had my oven under tarp through a very wet Seattle spring, and never had an significant moisture problems with the FB Board.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 07-08-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Journeyman

After the encouragement from the forum members I have stepped back away from the ledge and realized that the FB board is not going to collapse from being moist "as I was fearing" after one of the wettest June/Julys ever here. Where I live receives more annual rain fall then Seattle 36.2", us 42.7" and we had nearly 19" in the short period of May/June/July .

The last weekend thou hot and muggy, made for good working conditions "no rain" and good progress on my WFO. As you can see from the pictures, I was able to complete rings 8, 9, 10 and 11. Also, "which I enjoyed thoroughly" I removed the inner arch form. The prospective from there is awesome to see for the first time. What a enjoyable sight.

I am now down to the last two or three rings to be completely enclosed. After finishing ring 11, I am finding it extremely difficult to build with the indefensible tool only. I'm contemplating removing IND tool trying the exercise ball technique? If anyone could way in with any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1789-large-.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1797-large-.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1799-large-.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1807-large-.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_4192-large-.jpg  

Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_4193-large-.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hod,

You can use notched sticks, plywood disc, fish hook or modify you IT too
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-53h-mod-8.10.12.jpg  

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Apprentice

Hodgey,
I used a combination of the IT w/ some strips of 1/2" plywood.
I rounded the ends of the plywood w/ a belt sander, which made it easier to adjust the length by wedging the sticks where needed.
See the pics below.

Once the IT got the brick in place, I wedged a plywood stick in place & moved the IT for the next brick.

Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Hod,

You can use notched sticks, plywood disc, fish hook or modify you IT too
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-091-braces-inside-help-hold-last  

Link to my build -
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks like you are still using 1/2 bricks. It will be easier if you move to using thirds. Not as much weight to slide off.

Personally, with the smaller bricks I found that if the mortar was mixed right and I held the brick for a few seconds, I could get the bricks to stay in place with no additional support. But all the suggestions above are good ones if that is not working for you.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM
Journeyman

Todd, Russell and Deejay, all great ideas that I'll try to use and thank you all for your input. The last ring I completed "11" I used quarter bricks.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Journeyman

Here is a look at ring 11.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_1806-large-.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One trick that really helps when you get this far is if you lay one brick for the next ring when you finish so that you have something for the others to grab onto.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Journeyman

A look at ring 12
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_4428-large-.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_4422-large-.jpg