Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting 42" NW Pensylvania

Chris,

job well done. Looks fantastic!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

turned out very nice.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Journeyman

Thanks DJ and Russel for your kind comments. I could not have done it or at least as well if it haden't been for the help from you guys and others.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 04-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Journeyman

Hello All,

It was a extremely long, cold winter in NW PA. I fired my stove up last week for the first time since Novemebr. I started with a few small fires in hopes of displacing any accumulated moisture that may have entered the bricks over the winter. Then cooked my first pizzas that turned out great. Cant wait for full blown summer to get here to start using it more often. 38* and raining currently.

This is the start of my third summer on this project. The WFO portion was usable the first summer. Second summer I spent finishing the exterior and counter tops. This year we are installing a patio to finish and tie it all together. So, last weekend I removed my peninsula in preparation for a new patio. The current plan is to have a exposed aggregate concrete patio poured, hopefully in the next week or two. I will post pics as we progress. Posted below is before and after this weekends tear apart and a pic of one of my first pies of the season.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-01ff7050d489629f7db7bf8fdae856c8509f70e48c.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-img_5364.jpg   Starting 42" NW Pensylvania-2.jpg  
Greenman likes this.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Serf

Excellent work !! You and your wife should be very proud of what you have created. I am currently building a 32" adobe oven and can't wait to start cooking in it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:47 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactrev View Post
Excellent work !! You and your wife should be very proud of what you have created. I am currently building a 32" adobe oven and can't wait to start cooking in it.
Mactrev, thank you for the nice comments. We are both very pleased and can't wait to be completely finished. Hope your adobe oven project goes well, soon you to will be making great pizza and roasts.

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What's your plan for the patio?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-04-2015, 09:18 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
What's your plan for the patio?
Glad you stopped by Stone. I had my heart set on a stamped concrete patio until I got pricing, Nearly $16.00 sq' and our plan is around 600 sq'. So, plan B was pavers but after our second winter in a row of -20*F days on end, alot of paver patios I've seen have heaved bad. I know concrete will heave also but seems to settle after frost retreats better at saw cuts. So plan C is exposed aggerate finish concrete at $9.00 sq'. Any Thoughts?

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build:
Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey1 View Post
Any Thoughts?
Yes.

Excavate all the organic soil and material down to subsoil. Pitch the sub grade to daylight the drain water or install perf pipe curtain drains. Use only 1/4" or 3/8 crushed, washed stone for your setting medium.....not sand,crusher run or gravel. Fines hold water, soaked base heaves in the winter. Screed out the crushed stone and set stone, clay or concrete pavers. If you use travertine pavers, stay away from gold from turkey and anything from Mexico....though the gold trav from turkey isn't too bad, but occasionally you'll get a pallet of soft stuff.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 05-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Also, smaller units are vastly superior to a concrete slab long term in a freeze thaw zone. No contest in the beauty dept too....unless you are talking about concrete pavers. My preference is stone pavers or flags first, Clay SWB pavers next, followed by concrete pavers.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin