Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz

Ok issue #1. If you look at the pictures earlier in my thread you will notice that the mortar looks nice and dark. The reason is because when I first got my brick Kit from Forno Bravo I cut a corner off the mortar bag and mixed up a small batch in a bucket. I found out later that there is actually a second bag with a lighter colored mortar inside that is obviously needed. The first ten bricks I set have never really dried, the joints are soft to the touch. Yesterday I removed that mortar and redid it. It was super sturdy structurally and I was able to just redo the joints so i think it will be fine. Did I miss somewhere in the instructions about the forno bravo mortar in the kit needing mixed.

I also had an issue with a later batch lumping up and I had to discard it. That being said does anyone know if similar mortar can be purchased at Home depot/Lowes if I should run out?

#2. I am on the fifith course and I am getting gaps at the bottom of the bricks. I ruined about three bricks yesterday trying to figure out a way to taper them somehow to fit and I just couldn't get it. Any ideas on what to do? If you have gaps like these should they be filled from the inside of the oven or are they ok to leave the way they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3734.jpg   Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3750.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Serf

The V gap Problem is much explained here

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/sm...en-6738-5.html (Smuth's 36" Pompeii Oven)
Old 08-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Laborer

here is a solution for the V gaps - just ignore them. You will simply use more mortar to accommodate these spaces.
Of course, if you have too much time, you can trim every brick to size, I am happy I did not - the oven looks good inside the way it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinCrust99 View Post
I am on the fifith course and I am getting gaps at the bottom of the bricks. I ruined about three bricks yesterday trying to figure out a way to taper them somehow to fit and I just couldn't get it. Any ideas on what to do? If you have gaps like these should they be filled from the inside of the oven or are they ok to leave the way they are.
I filled my gaps from the inside, usually on the very next morning, after the course(s) had time to set. It's a lot easier to use your finger to apply and force mortar into these gaps than to use a trowel. Sponge clean excess mortar immediately.
I used homebrew mortar throughout.

I started tapering the sides once when these V gaps started getting larger at the upper courses. These tapers need not be precise, I pretty much eye-balled each cut. Just keep filling the gaps with mortar.

George

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Last edited by fxpose; 08-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.