Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz

I was wondering what the garden sprayer was for in the pictures.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Laborer

also, for spraying the dome's bricks before putting new bricks etc, I used that sprayer all the time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I have a eight year old miter saw that I have been hoping would break so i can buy a sliding miter with a laser line......so I will be cutting the brick with it and maybe it will do the trick....lol.
When dry cutting masonry, always protect your lungs. Even the wet mist full of silica particulates isn't good for you. As has been pointed out, those dry paper masks are pretty much useless, buy a respirator and use it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Peasant

My bricks and materials finally arrived. I cut the Fire Board/Floor/and some of dome bricks. I also did some dry fitting to see how things look. I have a questions before I start laying them permanent:

In the Forno Bravo plans it talks about laying the floor BRICK in a mortor but it dosen't say anything about how to set the fireboard. How should I lay the fireboard and also the Brick floor? I am going to use two layers of fireboard for extra insulation (and the extra two inches of height)

I was surprised that the fireboard wasn't solid. I thought it would be stiffer, and am surprised that it can hold the weight of the oven. I haven't set the floor on it yet during the dry fit.

Hope to start laying the bricks tomorrow. SO having no brick laying experience, do you actually "butter" the bricks or just dry fit them and push the mortor between the cracks/

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/help.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3691.jpg   Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3696.jpg   Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3701.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Laborer

the mortar under the brick floor is 1 part fireclay (the stuff in your water tub after cutting fire bricks) and 1 part fine sand mixed with a little water. No cement is used. I think you can use the same under the fireboard but perhaps use a little portland mixed in to hold it. I don't think most folks butter the dome bricks because you really don't want a mortar joint on the inside (bricks are flush) so I think its more stuffing the mortar in the outside seams. I am sure others will respond
Old 07-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Peasant

I am using an old miter saw with a garden sprayer. Does anyone know anywhere that it can be bought local?? Like Lowes/Depot?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Peasant

I spent this hot muggy weekend, cutting and installing the floor and soldier course. I had an issue with the mortar stiffening up to quickly on Sunday so I had to switch to making small batches. I ended up throwing out one batch that I could not get to hydrate back to useable. I will try to get a tleast one course done a night this week while I am home.

Special thanks to Greg for sending me his indespensable tool. I should be useing it soon.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3720.jpg   Starting a 36" Pompeii oven...help plz-100_3726.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Unlike portland cement mortars, you can not rehydrate silacious mortars. mix what you can use in the time you have only.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Peasant

I ordered a 6" duratech plate for my 36" oven (as advised in the plans) but I am seeing a lot of 8" for 36" oven on this site. I'm sure 6" is "enough" but I want the best/most functional. Should I switch to 8"? Thanks

Chris
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM
Apprentice

I went with a 6" and have been happy so far. The draw has been great even for my low temp curing fires. I think the 8" would look too big on most 36" ovens since it is a 10" exterior diameter. But depends a bit on what look you are going for.

Looking good - good luck with the rest of the project.