Old 06-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Space in my Backyard.

i am have so much to do and so little time.
i am marking reports at the moment and i must say i would rather be out working on my oven. oh well best not bitch as i am on term break soon and hope to finish then.
Mark
Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Serf

Mark,

Nice work. As a fellow autumn/winter builder (I just finished my oven) I can appreciate the troubles of short days. Although I was never that cold while putting up my oven and mixing vermiculite by hand.
Just think the entrance way of your oven is stunning. I love curves and organic lines (build them into the furniture I make too) and your entrance flows so nicely.
I was on a budget too and used 1/3 bricks to make a 75mm thick dome, works pretty well. I knocked the corners off my bricks for the upper chains, just roughly to help reduce the mortar usage a little. Only just found your thread so a little late to help and I cut all my bricks with a bolster and hammer so it was easier to do two more quick blows to take off the corners.
Again, Nice Work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Peasant

well it seems everything is out to slow me down.
i got the insulation on and put a wire tie down coat over it.
then it started to rain and get very cold it is not what i need to help me render. so i thought i would kill two birds one stone. i lit a fire in oven very small ish and then decided to use heat beads to slowly increase the temp over a long time to dry out oven and warm up for rendering.
not sure if i should of but oh well it seemed to work. first day of fire i used 1/2 pack of beads and next day used full pack then next day used pack and half next day lots of wood got pretty hot.
in all of these fires it does not seem to cool down much.
after last fire i closed the door when it droped to 270c and over the next 24 hrs it droped to 120c not bad when you consider it was still raining on it. by this morning it stoped raining so i have put my first coat of render on. seems okay i will keep the oven going till late to night as it is meant to freeze tonight about -8c. by keeping the oven going i think the oven on will stop the render freezeing.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Peasant

i can now see the end in sight
this is where i am at so far
Attached Thumbnails
Space in my Backyard.-img_1210.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1211.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1215.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1216.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1217.jpg  

Old 07-14-2008, 03:34 AM
Peasant

i just need to tile the top edge of the stand and pave the grass area in front of the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Space in my Backyard.-img_1219.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1220.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1221.jpg   Space in my Backyard.-img_1224.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Serf

Mark,
Looks Fantastic.
Does your door sit on the half bricks in the throat of the oven??
To what purpose? faster heating, or just for slowing the fire, longer burn??
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Master Builder

I was trying to figure out the hands on the door - I guess they are gloves.

But I like the look - I might have to cast some hands into the cast boiler isulation door I have planned. - I may coat it with the fondu cement I saw on another page here and carve it down.

So odd to see the garden with nothing in it - have to remember the seasons are reversed. As far as my garden - The deer ate all my tomato plants while I was gone on vacation. They left the basil alone though!!!

Looking really good!

Christo