Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: South FL WFO

The insulation is bare on the edges and has expanded metal on the heat side. I used another member's design and he did change his to encapsulate the edges but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I am planning on making a pan that will fit over the entire insulation portion of the door so that none of the material is exposed. On a side note, the door works extremely well. The handles get warm but not so hot that I can't grab it with my bare hands.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Steve, your oven pics are great. I'm pretty sure my oven will be built and even look a little like yours. I see the horizontal cement board siding you have on the upper portion of the enclosure, what are you going to do to the lower portion? On that same note: would you bother filling or patching any of the small vertical spaces between some of the cement blocks? Or will it just get covered anyway?
Nice steel stud work too. I've only framed with wood in the past but will have to do a similar upper enclosure like yours.
Thanks, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Dino. I had planned on using brick or stone veneer to cover the lower portion, but it will cost anywhere from $300 to $500. I believe I will just stucco the lower portion to save on cost (hate to be cheap at this point but I already blew out my budget). I did fill in some of the larger gaps in the blocks on the other side of the blocks I just had not gotten to the side where the pic was taken. The largest gap is 3/8" and I don't think it would be an issue as long as the foundation does not move but I still plan on grouting all of the gaps before applying the stucco to be on the safe side.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ya Steve, I was picking up my firebrick this morning and looked over the stone veneer and various stack stone patterns while I waited but I did not price them. I may stucco the whole thing when I finally price it all. I'll fill my oven base openings too so the 1st screeding is smooth and covers my imperfections.
thanks again, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread