Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: South FL WFO

Quote:
The plans call for using simple half bricks (no "cut to fit")
RT, is there a set of plans out there? I was basically using the other builder's pics as a blueprint for my own build. I've read through the forum failry extensively but have not seen anything. I still have about a 1/3 to a 1/4 more brickwork on the dome and I am concerned about the mortar gap due to the bricks now being almost vertical.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve,
You need to go to the FB Store (register again for the store - it requires a different password).
then scroll down on the left, click on eBooks & cd roms, They are FREE. Click to "buy" and you will be given instructions/emailed (can't remember which) on the downloads.....there are several other FREE eBooks on there as well.

I have to tell ya, the plans will clarify a lot.

RT
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Apprentice

Thanks RT. Found the instructions and they are helpful.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Apprentice

The dome was finished about two weeks ago but I had to take a break to go on vacation (went to NY City for Christmas - burrrr! FL never felt so great!). Anyway, my dome top did not come out completely round. I was headed for a teardrop shape so I made some adustments but went too far and the top came out somewhat flat, but it's done. I completed the outer arch yesterday and the oven door today (Thanks Ken524 for your door design; I shamlessly borrowed it). I am hoping to finish the chimney support tomorrow and have my first curing fire on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
South FL WFO-m_img_0575.jpg   South FL WFO-m_img_0576.jpg   South FL WFO-m_img_0651.jpg   South FL WFO-m_img_0662.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Apprentice

I lit my first fire today and it was wonderful! All of the hard work so far has paid off. I burned about 6 small crumpled pieces of newspaper and the temperature got up to only about 170F on the sides and about 200 on the top. After the fire died down, I put the door in place and will leave it on until my fire tomorrow night. Although it was a small fire, the chimney drew like a champ and no visible smoke came out the front. As I looked into the oven while the fire was burning, I could see the separation between the smoke leaving the oven and the cool air being drawn in. It was really cool! I can't wait to build larger fires.
Attached Thumbnails
South FL WFO-img_0679.jpg   South FL WFO-img_0681.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Steve - congrats! You are in for a treat. When your oven goes plasma - you can almost literally see the soot burn off from top to bottom. That is a very cool thing to watch.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Apprentice

Finally got to cook my first pizza after two months of building. Although these were my first pizzas, they were absolutely delicious and the best I have ever had. We experimented a bit after the first pizza and made a supreme, Hawaiian style and a calzone. Everything turned out fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
South FL WFO-dough.jpg   South FL WFO-img_0697.jpg   South FL WFO-img_0698.jpg   South FL WFO-hawaiian-pizza.jpg   South FL WFO-calzone.jpg  

Old 01-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Peasant

Nice job! Everything looks great. We're in the curing process. Going to be really cold for the next couple days, so not expecting much progress.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Apprentice

Thanks bturton. We had a cold front come through today. It's going to be in the high 60's low 70's all week (guess I'll break out the jackets). I am hoping to finish the exterior in the next couple of weekends.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Journeyman

Steve,

I like your door. Is that bare insulation? If so you may want to encapsulate it. I'v read that you don't want the insulationg board/material to be used without a barrier. Someone let me know if I'm incorrect.

Thanks
Dick
aka thebadger