Old 05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: It seems that I've started

I hope so. It's a kind of pro material, industrial, to be exact, and it constists exactly of what chamotte bricks consist of.
What do you think of film of structural concrete on top of perlite? Does it worth or not?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Master Builder

Claydite (Russia)

Arlite (Spain)

a masonry insulator....but not available in the US?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringJim View Post
Claydite (Russia)
Керамзит in Russia (Keramzit) ))
Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
What do you think of film of structural concrete on top of perlite? Does it worth or not?
I think that it will cause a slight loss of heat round the bottom of the dome, but at the same time will give your floor a little bit of added mass.... so it could equal out and come to the same thing in the end... maybe. You'll have to let us know when you get there

I know for a fact that these ovens work very well without an added layer, but I'm also pretty sure the oven will work well with the concrete you added.

Maybe you could chip through the concrete round the outside of the dome when you're insulating, so the insulation goes all the way round
Old 05-05-2008, 01:51 AM
Apprentice

Hi Frances,
I've just read that Jim advised to Balty to skim coat it with refrax
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/v....html#post9852 (Vemiculite Pad)

So, I'm thinking in the right direction. I only doubt if my mortar give the proper durability to the perlite surface.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:06 AM
Apprentice

Last two weekends was not so fruitful as I was planing.
I've mixed and poured 2-4 mm of rather wet concrete over the perlite and got very fine, even and level surface for making a floor.
I found also that edges of isulationg floor are quite fragile, so it forced me to reassemble the frame to keep undamaged during further works.
I'm also found (in a numerous time in my life) that I'm stupid and didn't mesured the size of MY bricks before making the exact plans. So I've faced the lack of space for the landing or for insulation and igloo exterior on the back side.
Finally I've decided to let the very corners of the opening arch hang in the air (by now) - later I'll finish the sides of the hearth anyhow, so it wont be that way.

Yesterday I've set up the floor and faced another problem.
Gaps in floor - should or shouldn't ... - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community
Attached Thumbnails
It seems that I've started-heart_section.jpg   It seems that I've started-floor1.jpg   It seems that I've started-floor2.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Apprentice

Default It seems that I've almost ...

We've spent one week on the dacha, as a result - almost finished dome. Definitely not the best one you've seen here, but I hope it will work.
You know, it's a quite an experience to realize at Thursday that you are running out of mortar and spent 3 long days with 2 (TWO!!!!!!!!!) chains unfinished (my wife was going to kill me for spending all the vocation's time on top of the oven, so I decided not to try to arrange a voyage for mortar on Friday).
My mortar doesn't contain cement (only chamotte clay and ground chamotte), so I was able to fix each brick in place almost without any kind of form (only chains 8 and 9 took some well known tricks). Dry brick (I've put it in the water just for a couple of seconds) soaks water from mortar so fast, so adhesion keeps it in place just after couple of minutes of positioning, leveling and so on.
This morning I've started with buying another 50 kg bag of mortar.

And at the very beginning, on the chain 2nd, I've made hard and painful decision - not to tapper the bricks, since my primitive tile saw doesn't allow that in a half-automated way - I've spent two hours to arrange gauges to make all the cutting in one batch, not spending a lot of time with each brick individually, but failed. Bricks has different size, and it was going to took too much time.
Attached Thumbnails
It seems that I've started-chain9.jpg   It seems that I've started-almost.jpg  
Old 06-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks really good, dvonk. I'm sure it will work great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey, good work! That looks fantastic - It'll be keystone time before you know it!

Btw I've been meaning to say, actually I really like the look of your floor with the different bricks having a slightly different colour... even if it was a pain to lay them out

Its interesting that you're using a non-cement mortar... I think I was the first one on the forum to do so. I found it very easy to work with anyway. Did you see the (not very informative) thread I started on it?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/h...clay-2783.html (Heat-dry mortar made of refactory clay and refactory sand (and nothing else))

So far its working really well for me.... but it'll be good to compare experiences with this kind of mortar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gorgeous! That oven's going to serve you well. Really nice work!

-