Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: SE Minnesota insanity

That arch is fantastic. I am getting tempted to buy a better saw because I don't think I can come anywhere near what I want with a little wet tile saw and a grinder.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Wow! That arch picture is an optical illusion - At first it looks like a dome make out of paper thin bricks. Weird!
But once your eyes focus properly - wow! It's very nice.
cool!
c
Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Apprentice

I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknoir View Post
I finished mine late last summer and didn't master pizza making or fire building by the time the temp dropped and was just not motivated over the winter to stand in snow to try it again. I'm happy to say though that my first fire and batch of pizzas this Spring were better then any I did last year!
Awesome. I can't wait to get to where you are at!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Apprentice

Talking Re: SE Minnesota insanity

Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
SE Minnesota insanity-2010-may-18-025c.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pfeifer View Post
Guys and gals, here it is, still wet off the saw--the keystone, avec hole bored in top for the thermocouple. There is much beer to be had over here tonight.

Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!
Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Journeyman

Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great, Eric! Look forward to reports of pizza!
Jay
Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatgirl View Post
Hello realjaydub. Mpls burb resident here. Did my build last summer. AFAIK, the only refractory supplier around here is Smith-Sharpe in NE. Or at least they're the only place I could find that had low/medium duty brick. I think thats who blacknoir used, too.

"Affordable" is relative when there's only one game in town, I guess. At least I could go pick everything up with my truck.
You might try calling around to some ceramics studios or the U of M art dept. to see what supplier they use.

p.s. nice work Eric! hopefully there's still a girlfriend around to enjoy it with you. or not!
Thanks Spaltgirl....yeah I checked with them 2.88 a brick...I live in Nordeast so It's convenient enough.

Did you use the same bricks for the floor?

I know they want a ridiculous amount for the 12x12 floor tiles...
Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjaydub View Post
Excellent work!

Eric, I live in Minneapolis and I'm embarking on my own outdoor wfo and am having a heck of a time finding affordable firebrick...where did you pick yours up at?

Thanks much!
I bought mine from Rochester Brick (I think it's a Northstar company), and buying in bulk at contractor prices got me 280 full bricks at just a few cents over a dollar a piece.