Old 01-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Salv's WFO Build

A couple of days ago I was able to devote another full day and managed to get up to the seventh course, including the dreaded tieing in to the oven opening. I think it worked out ok - I tried to keep the position as consistent with the dome gauge as possible. I ended up using the angle grinder with a diamond blade to carve out a notch on the two bricks that were going to hit the arch (see pic 2215) and then put in a small keystone between them - I have attached a series of pics that might explain it better. Hopefully this is going to be structurally ok.

I have also attached a couple of pics of where I got to by the end of the day. I noticed that by the fifth course the inverted v mortar joints became much more pronounced. And finally, the oven opening arch is still standing at this stage! I hope that there will be no changes to this status.

Cheers

Salv
Attached Thumbnails
Salv's WFO Build-img_2215.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2216.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2217.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2244.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2249.jpg  

Old 01-09-2009, 04:22 AM
Apprentice

It's looking excellent Salv, not long till your first pizza now!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If the inverted V gets too big, you can switch to using 1/3 bricks. That takes it back to a smaller V for a while.

I was continually amazed during my whole build each morning when I went outside and it was still standing. Ovens seem very forgiving!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salv B View Post
Hi Himzo,

I make a very rustic red wine with with my father every year though

cheers

Salv

Nice!

BTW can I ask where you got your firebricks from?

Himzo.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim F View Post
It's looking excellent Salv, not long till your first pizza now!
Thanks Tim,

I now know the feeling - I am itching to get that first pizza in. I have now completed the dome and vent arch (I will post some pics today at some stage) and trying to work out when to cure. I am thinking of letting everything dry out for a week and then curing before I put any insulation on. Does this make sense?

cheers

Salv
Old 01-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by egalecki View Post
If the inverted V gets too big, you can switch to using 1/3 bricks. That takes it back to a smaller V for a while.

I was continually amazed during my whole build each morning when I went outside and it was still standing. Ovens seem very forgiving!
Hi Elizabeth,

I ended up sticking with half bricks and concocting a rather rustic finish up to the keystone. I just had enough of the angle grinder. I was working at the back of my garden and still dust found it's way into a number of rooms of the house!

Very funny - I am checking the arches first thing every morning, particularly the vent arch

cheers

Salv
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himzo View Post
Nice!

BTW can I ask where you got your firebricks from?

Himzo.
Hi Himzo,

I got my firebricks from a place in Allenby Gardens called Avero. The phone number is 8340 4454. The guys name is Frank Cavallaro. He is very friendly and helpful. I paid $3.65 plus GST for the bricks. But I got in just before the global financial crisis hit and the exchange rate took a dive. He imports the bricks and the ones I got all had nice straight edges. I also got most of my other supplies from him (such as vermiculite, mortar and ceramic blanket) and he priced the bricks on the basis that I was buying other suff from him. The other supplies werent quite as cheap as Thermal Ceramics but they were pretty close. It's worth giving him a call and letting him know what you need. He is familiar with the forno bravo pompei oven plans and will prepare you a detailed qoute based on the plans. If you want further details send me a PM with any questions or your phone number and I will be glad to have a chat.

Salv
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Laborer

I had another productive day and was able to finish off the dome and the vent arches. It was a great feeling to finally finish the dome. As gravity took over on the higher courses I ended up using sticks to hold the brick in place and this worked quite well. I didn't cut my bricks into thirds so it is quit a rustic finish but as long as it cooks the pizzas in 3 minutes I will be happy

I must say when we got to the keystone we made sure it was knocked in nice and tight with a number of hits but I didn't go to the point of huge blows to get it in. My Dad is building the oven with me and he was too concerned about knocking everything and moving mortar joints. Hopefully it holds together.

Next stage - curing and insulation.

cheers

Salv
Attached Thumbnails
Salv's WFO Build-img_2271.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2337.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2277.jpg   Salv's WFO Build-img_2308.jpg  
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Salv,
Nice build. You and your dad did a great job. Look forward to hearing about your curing and first pizza trials and tribulations. Great pizza is close at hand. Don't rush your cure.
G.

-
Old 01-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Serf

Well done Salv

The final few courses certainly look the most challenging

I have not got to this stage yet but continually thinking of which way will be the best to keep those final bricks in place.

Mike

Check out my progress to date

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.