Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Rolling Alpine Oven Build

the pies look great...what dough recipe are you using

Peter
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Peasant

The recipe came from a friend. I don't have it here in front of me but it was something like 5lbs flour (50/50 caputo and locally milled flour) and about 70% hydration with 1Tbsp olive oil, 2oz salt and .8oz red star yeast. The first batch was with 100% caputo 00 but it was tough to work with so we tried it blended and it was perfect. The local flour is Turkey brand from Lehi Roller Mills (FootLoose!)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Peasant

Last night I put the roof on the top. It's a layer of hardibacker board covered with some old roofing tin from the Antique shop. It was tricky to get it down as it was bent all over the place. I broke a couple drill bits starting holes in the metal frame.

The tarp is covering the landing which is just insulation board right now. We are having a Stainless piece made to cover it.

I checked my temps this morning and we put the fire out Sunday evening and it was reading about 160-180 floor to top of dome. The door is just the scrap cut out from the door and isn't super tight and doesn't have any insulation.

My son also wanted to go to the local Pizza buffet last night and I ate the salad and pasta but couldn't find any desire to try the regular pizzas. I did dig into the dessert pizzas. mmmm. Cinnamon sugar, oreo and cookie dough pizzas were pretty good. I need to try some of them next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Rolling Alpine Oven Build-new-top-side.jpg   Rolling Alpine Oven Build-new-top-back.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Peasant

Yesterday we picked up one of the last parts for the oven. The stainless landing. I had to recut some of the front floor bricks to be flat with the door. Added another layer of insulation board and the landing just slid on over that. I still need to bolt it and reinforce a few things but we are getting close. We have ideas for the door that will need to be done this weekend. We're planning another fire but with just our family this time. We can take our time and eat the pizzas ourselves as they come out. Can't wait for that!
Attached Thumbnails
Rolling Alpine Oven Build-stainless-landing.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Master Builder

Wow, from base to pizza party in less than a month! Nice job, and those are great looking pies!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Peasant

Wow, your stainless steel oven landing looks great! My oven build is at the landing install point, and I've been waiting for two weeks for my granite guy to come and measure my landing to build a template for a granite counter. He's stalling on me for some reason. After seeing your SS, I might go that route. Can you share where you got it and what you pay for something like that?

FYI, I was down in Utah county over the 4th. . . your community put on a crazy fireworks show outside Lavell Edwards Stadium! Fun stuff.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Peasant

I had the landing made at a steel fabrication shop in SLC for $350. Not cheap but it really finishes it off and gives a good surface that will last in the elements.
Kingdon Sheet Metal has made several things for us over the years. They do great work. I just emailed them photos and a dimensioned drawing. Then I cut a plywood template and dropped it off. It fit perfectly. I've learned that if I think through they will build it just how I was imagining it.

We had fireworks going off everywhere this year. It was great because it made the noisy brick saw not so noticeable and I could work later in the evening.

Just finished mixing another batch of dough for sat/sun.