Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
There would be some equation as to the amount of heat required to heat a certain amount of firebrick to bring an oven up to pizza cooking temps, a rocket stove just wouldnt generate enough heat to do it.
A rocket stove is very similar to the standard masonry core designs. It is worth a try.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I guess it would depend on how big you make the rocket stove.
And how big the oven is.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Gudday
I would think that the oven size or rocket stove size would not be the overriding factor but the ability of the ovens ceramic to take up the heat. The rocket stoves are basically a blow torch and a lot of that heat would be exhurst from the oven before being used or stored in the ceramic ?
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Gudday again
Further to my first thoughts perhaps the material of the oven should be more conductive ie steel so it would take in the heat faster . Back that with refractory layer as a heat bank an then of course an insulation layer.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-27-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Peasant

As far as metal goes, the longevity factor is the reason that I am staying away from the use of it as much as possible. I live in an area that receives an overabundance of precipitation for the majority of the year. Most of the designs floating around wouldn't make it through one winter here.

The other issue is cooking temps and times. Metal is going to have a different result of holding and retaining heat than masonry even when it is only a layer. There are others that use metal as seen in the videos and pics on this thread. I would rather stick to a masonry oven. I happen to also prefer the look of masonry.

Last edited by devilsbrew; 07-28-2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wood fired kilns have their firebox under the oven and then the flames rise into the kiln. In effect a giant rocket stove. They fire to porcelain temperatures (1300 C)
Old 07-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Peasant

I played around with air intake tonight. Bought some cheap grill mesh. Limited the opening underneath and bent the mesh to see what worked best. For the little bit of sticks that I burned it seemed to hold up well. I do want to add a wombat hole in the future.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Wood fired kilns have their firebox under the oven and then the flames rise into the kiln. In effect a giant rocket stove. They fire to porcelain temperatures (1300 C)
Great point. I realize that a standard rocket stove isn't needed to heat up brick. I'm now researching kiln designs to incorporate some of those elements in this hybrid.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Serf

I am looking at rocket ovens as well but am thinking along the lines of less thermal mass and more insulation. Like one of the posts stated, a bit like a blow torch - not much good with a lot of thermal mass.

Here is one of my favourite videos of a traditional rocket oven at the Poilane bakery in Paris. If you love ovens and bread, this is for you.
Fabrication du pain Max Poilâne à Lyon - YouTube
Old 08-07-2013, 07:15 AM
Apprentice

McGuire Stove part 6 The finaleeee - YouTube I know this is'nt a rocket stove, but, I came across it. It features secondary air combustion,a very complete burn. This guy goes a step further and uses lava rock for a catalyst...his stoves are homemade as well as the videos but, the concept is on target. I may have him build me one, as the one in my shop really creosotes the pipe.... Look at some of the temps this stove gets...What if a floor was built over the lava rock area....or it was somehow ammended to the bottom of a masonary floor...Food for thought!

Last edited by thickstrings; 08-07-2013 at 08:48 AM.