Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Rocket Stove Brick Oven

Gudday
I caught a couple of u-tube vids etc with rocket oven powered stoves and whilst they were interesting it was a bit like watching firecrackers ... Plenty of bang and excitement but it was all over really fast. With a wood fired oven with a more conventional fire its a slow burn to put that heat into the refractory ( or clay if that's what you have) and you reap the return of heat back over time.
As for there efficiency those walls reflepct the heat back onto the fire so even the smoke gets burnt. The design that has a 63 per cent door height to oven height means that the oven will breath correctly without any special input.
As for fuel .... Who buys wood. Salvaged, tree limb cuttings, trimmings and palm fends all burn as well if seasoned. I can collect enough in a 30 min forage along the side of my local roads to do a roast if I need.
So I don't see the need to re-event the wheel so to speak. An age old design with modern materials ..... You can't go wrong
Anyway with respect I do wish you well and I hope you do post more as I will always watch with interest
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Master Builder

Just some grist for the mill. Here is a pic of a rocket stove weber. Apparently it has a volcanic rock grill.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...2/DSCF0853.JPG
Mitchamus likes this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Apprentice

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/r...ven-18755.html (Rocket pot oven) Here is a thread of interest, if you have not allready seen it...
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
As for fuel .... Who buys wood. Salvaged, tree limb cuttings, trimmings and palm fends all burn as well if seasoned. I can collect enough in a 30 min forage along the side of my local roads to do a roast if I need.
Yes, I can forage enough around here. That is one reason I am choosing a rocket stove for outdoors. I'm hoping to only use branches and such to cook on. Honestly, I broke down the stove at one point and the small little thing was enough to cook with. Everything that you see in the videos with mini brick stoves is true.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Just some grist for the mill. Here is a pic of a rocket stove weber. Apparently it has a volcanic rock grill.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7...2/DSCF0853.JPG
This is the grill conversion I saw ages ago...

Rocket grill - YouTube
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickstrings View Post
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/r...ven-18755.html (Rocket pot oven) Here is a thread of interest, if you have not allready seen it...
Thanks. I am working my way through the thread. I would have to say the clay pot is a common vessel to cook with.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM
Peasant

I have absolutely no idea if this would work but I was thinking of you could extend the horizontal tube around the oven base to create more even heating.

I don't know if all the 90 degree turns would work in the drawing below (my limited understanding is that it would need more heat) but this would move all the hot air around the oven base.

Perhaps the dividing walls could be made of Hebel or some other insulator (as in forming up a maze with vermicretre, etc). The roof above this maze could be heatbricks/clay pavers/thermal mass. In theory all the heat wuld move to the heatbricks as the rest is insulation???

The big black part is the chimney/entry into the oven dome. The drawing is looking down, through the thermal/oven floor. The orange arrows are hot air (hopefully). The big orange bocks are insulation/walls.

The more I think about it, if the design followed this path, the firing tube would need to be a big MF, to get all the way around the floor before firing up the chimney. This would obviously depend on the thermal mass being heated.
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket Stove Brick Oven-oven-floor.jpg  

Last edited by sandybits; 07-27-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybits View Post
I have absolutely no idea if this would work but I was thinking of you could extend the horizontal tube around the oven base to create more even heating.
There would be some equation as to the amount of heat required to heat a certain amount of firebrick to bring an oven up to pizza cooking temps, a rocket stove just wouldnt generate enough heat to do it.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
There would be some equation as to the amount of heat required to heat a certain amount of firebrick to bring an oven up to pizza cooking temps, a rocket stove just wouldnt generate enough heat to do it.
I guess it would depend on how big you make the rocket stove.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybits View Post

I don't know if all the 90 degree turns would work in the drawing below (my limited understanding is that it would need more heat) but this would move all the hot air around the oven base.

Perhaps the dividing walls could be made of Hebel or some other insulator (as in forming up a maze with vermicretre, etc). The roof above this maze could be heatbricks/clay pavers/thermal mass. In theory all the heat wuld move to the heatbricks as the rest is insulation???

The big black part is the chimney/entry into the oven dome. The drawing is looking down, through the thermal/oven floor. The orange arrows are hot air (hopefully). The big orange bocks are insulation/walls.

The more I think about it, if the design followed this path, the firing tube would need to be a big MF, to get all the way around the floor before firing up the chimney. This would obviously depend on the thermal mass being heated.
What you are describing seems to be pretty similar to the Russian masonry stove design that uses channels. From what I have read, gas behavior is dependent on volume, pressure, and temperature. This is how the mass will be heated.

Tomorrow I hope to get a chance to rebuild, enlarge the burn tunnel, and work with air intake.