Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (
-   Brick Oven Photos (
-   -   REALLY NEAT (IMHO) Pix of FIRE in the Oven! (

Fio 11-14-2006 07:21 PM

REALLY NEAT (IMHO) Pix of FIRE in the Oven!
4 Attachment(s)
These pix turned out better than I thought. I captured some great fire in the oven. In some of them, you can see the little log stand I made out of perforated angle iron (galvanized steel, actually) from the Home Despot. I love the way the flame really licks the dome.

Les 11-15-2006 08:41 AM

cool pics', but...

The pictures are great but I would be a little leery of use the galvanized steel for cooking. Zink is not a very frindly element.

For what it's worth;

maver 11-15-2006 01:20 PM

zinc poisoning

Originally Posted by Les

The pictures are great but I would be a little leery of use the galvanized steel for cooking. Zink is not a very frindly element.

For what it's worth;

In my other life I deal with health questions. That quote looks a bit fishy, and when I looked for substantiating info on pubmed I find only some reference to welders exposed to metal fumes. That's quite a contraption fio has. While I agree cast iron is probably better, I don't know that I'd worry about food contamination. Zinc is used by some to "treat" colds, and the kidneys handle it fine. Fumes may be a lung issue, but should not affect pizza.

jengineer 11-15-2006 02:19 PM

yep along the same line of iron. When it was determined that my sister was anemic and needed more iron in her diet I gave her a few rusty nails to chew on.

Some of the signs and symptoms of zinc poisioning are...
Burning sensation (body), Metallic taste, Body pain, Shock,
No urine output, Collapse, Convulsions, Fever, Chills, Cough,
Shortness of breath, Yellow eyes or yellow skin, Rash, Vomiting,
Watery or bloody diarrhea, Low blood pressure

Of course most of these are signs and symtoms of toher ailments. Pay close attention to Metallic taste and the skin colour.

the American Welding Society says this...
Zinc oxide fumes cause a flu–like illness called Metal Fume Fever. Symptoms of Metal Fume Fever include headache, fever, chills, muscle aches, thirst, nausea, vomiting, chest soreness, fatigue, gastrointestinal pain, weakness, and tiredness. The symptoms usually start several hours after exposure; the attack may last 6 to 24 hours. Complete recovery generally occurs without intervention within 24 to 48 hours. Metal Fume Fever is more likely to occur after a period away from the job (after weekends or vacations). High levels of exposure may cause a metallic or sweet taste in the mouth, dry and irritated throat, thirst, and coughing at the time of the exposure. Several hours after exposure, a low–grade fever (seldom higher than 102_ F or 39_ C). Then comes sweating and chills before temperature returns to normal in 1 to 4 hours. If you encounter these symptoms, contact a physician and have a medical examination / evaluation. There is no information in the literature regarding the effects of long–term exposure to zinc oxide fumes.

Fio is probably ok as it looks the stand is used during the heating portion and is pulled out before food is brought in. At most he will have some micro particulate deposits on the cooler parts of the dome and the vent/flu

Finally zinc melts around 420/790 (C/F) and boils off at 907/1665 (C/F)

Les 11-15-2006 02:37 PM

I tend to agree with you both – that’s why I put “for what it’s worth”. I just remember way back in my shop days, the instructor said it was best not to forge or melt the product.

PS – I need to stop posting in the AM – my spelling is terrible.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC