Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Ready for the concrete!

Finished the bench tiling this weekend and covered the dome with a final layer of acrylic render. In the next couple of weeks will paint the dome to match the colour request from the one that must he obeyed!

Will also finish the rendering of the besser blocks next week. Tried one small side today to see how I go. Did it on the side facing the boundary fence and not really visible - just in case. Finished it off to match the dome with a sponge that I just lightly wiped the surface. Created a nice finish.

Things still to do to finish oven:

1. Render of besser blocks
2. Paint both dome and stand
3. Construct door

Re curing things have been going reasonably well. It's amazing the difference the insulation makes. Even without a door the bricks keep quite warm for some time.

Oh also made my first edible thing in the oven today. Toasted cheese sandwich. While I had the oven on this morning thought i would make use of the heat. Didn't take to long to cook. Had to chuck the first one out as it got extra toasty!

Till next time
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Aus View Post
Didn't take to long to cook. Had to chuck the first one out as it got extra toasty!
that happens quite often for the first food in the oven. keep a close eye when you are cooking the first thing in for the day, be it pizza, bread or something else.

Nice build and great progress in short bursts.

Chip
Old 08-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Peasant

Hi All

had a go at my first pizza (pic attached)!! not perfect but very happy for my first pizza.

also attached some pics of the rendered oven. hope to paint this weekend.

bought myself a digital thermometer. Insulation is obviously working well. with inside temp around 350-400 plus the outside of the oven was around 25-30 degrees C. also under the slab temp was around 20-25c.

havent got a door made up yet so will be interested in how long the oven can keep temp once i can close it off.

slowly getting more comfortable with getting the fire going and seeing how the oven heats up.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-first-pizza.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-render-1.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-render-3.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-render-2.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Master Builder

Looks good Chas, your at the point where a whole new level of fun begins.

Couple easy things for early days:
pork spare ribs, get decent one from butcher marinated and cook in cast iron skillet
Greek style meatballs with a cube of halloumi cheese inside
....if oven is too hot just cook them forward under the inner arch

Karangi has a great breakfast for next day using pizza dough, refer to his what's cooking thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Peasant

Thanks Damon

It's definitely a great time when you get to this point in the build. You are actually cooking but also at the same time learning about how the oven works so every time its a bit different.

Even how to best light a fire. Have tried a few methods and definitely the top down approach has worked the best. Takes a little while to get going but once it does it's pretty much on its own.

Thanks again and look forward to sharing more experiences - good and bad.

Will definitely try the ribs on the weekend with a few beers. The weather in Adelaide is supposed to be good over the weekend.

Regards

Chaz
Old 08-08-2012, 01:45 AM
Master Builder

Yeah I'm hoping to get my top slab poured.......but I'd rather be drinking a slab and eating pizza.

A trick with the pork ribs, for the last half of cooking if you have the right size skillet stand them ribs upwards with skin poking up and if you get it right you can get them to crisp, like crackling.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Peasant

Hi all

time for another update.

have pretty much finished the oven and yesterday finished the timber panel at the rear and last week finished the door although will likley put a thermometer in and some sort of heat seal.

i have posted some pics.

with the door i used some steel plate cut to size and a flat bar that i welded together (if you can call it welding but it all held together!). inside the door i have two layers of the ceramic insulation. as the door is metal there will still be heat getting through but hopefully it will work OK.

would like to put in a thermometer in the front and also some type of seal around the edge to assist with keeping the heat in. the handles are a bit square edgy so may do some cosmetic work on them and also look at getting some thicker timber for the handles.

thanks again to all
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-backing-view-1.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-backing-view-2.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-backing-view-3.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-door-1.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-door-2.jpg  

Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Peasant

here is a pic looking at the oven from the (still in construction!) pool end.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-pool-shot.jpg  
Old 09-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Master Builder

Nice having it near the pool.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Peasant

Thanks Damon

Hopefully it will all work out Ok. Eventually will look at having a verandah/pergola over the oven for shelter from the rain and sun.