Old 06-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ready for the concrete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz Aus View Post
On their website they refer to around 24 hours of heat retention.
Only with the right insulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome Chaz from Utah........

The bird tracks add a great touch. My slab is a boring broom finish. Will be watching your build.

Russell
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

You don't need anything else than 230mm angle grinder and diamond blade(s) for cutting the bricks. Not saying that it wouldn't be easier with proper brick saw, but it isn't that hard with angle grinder either.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Peasant

Thanks all for comments.

Laku will try the angle grinder and see how I go.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Apprentice

Hi Chaz,
Littlehampton Brick often have second firebricks. I got mine for $3 each.

I hired a brick saw for the day, worked out how many full bricks for the hearth and cut the rest in half. This has worked really well, with most of the shaping of bricks using a
5" angle grinder with diamond blade. I also am using a 9" grinder with diamond blade to speed up the bigger cuts. Remember the cut face is facing out so no one is going to see it. As far as shaping I am just making sure that the internal face edge is neat, the rest is filled with mortar.

Good Luck

Craig
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Peasant

Smile Re: Ready for the concrete!

Hi all

Finished pouring the top today. i have gone with a brick edge at top for a bit of a feature (unless i change my mind and just render over it when i am rendering the blocks as not totally happy with my brick laying!). The brick is the same as our house and plan to have a charcoal/dark grey render that matches the roof of our house. The dome of the oven will be similar colour to the brick and then have a grey tile on the work areas - well thats the plan at the moment!!

Picked up the insulating blocks earlier this week which i am planning on laying on a thin layer of sand. i hope to get the bricks this week but wont be able to start till the week after as family we havent seen for a long time are coming over from interstate.

May get some time to start the arch frame and prepare the IT as i have decided to go with this method.

Have posted some pics from todays effort.

thanks agian to all.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-hearth1.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-hearth2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"the other query is re the flue. I was looking at using the besser block that I am using for the stand. It will be a 2-3 high and eventually rendered to look like the rest of the oven. Is this OK, ie will they be able to take the heat coming up the flue without cracking?"

Hi Chaz,
Just reading your thread.
The concrete blocks for the flue are most likely to crack from the heat. Use something more refractory, standard bricks are ok or stainless steel.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 AM
Laborer

Hi Chaz, regarding your firebricks, they would be better in the long run as the are designed for heat, one reason being the standard clay brick would eventually deteriorate faster due to the hot/cold cycling that occurs in WFOs.
Maybe try calling some of the suppliers in Melbourne as I can source for around $3 ea brand new first quality, maybe a little more if you're buying less than a pallet (approx 330).
You don't know any truckies that do the Adelaide - Melbourne run that may be able to help with freight on back loads??

Cheers,

Russell.

Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Peasant

Hi

thank for the comments to some of my queries and apologies for taking so long to put up an update.

i have progressed to putting the dome up. had a week off and have spent the last three days getting the dome and the first arch done.

i wasnt to keen on putting the photos up as it hasnt come up as neat as some of the others i have seen on the site but i will put it down to the character of my oven!

if there is one lesson i have learnt during this stage - go slow! i think i tried to work to a time and why i most probably didnt get the best finish. i started with the IT but found i lost a bit of shape near the arch. once i was about five rows from finishing i changed to using corflute held up with bricks and some timber. it shaped around the dome height i needed well as long as you supported the corflute

i have used second hand bricks (from a friend) for the dome but used new ones for the floor. it has two layers of insulation under the floor. i went with the high temp mortar (Fondu) for the bricks that i purchased from Bianco Building Supplies.

as i went along i applied some of the mortar over the bricks. not sure if i will get to regret this?

next will be to finish of the flue and outside arch before i start the curing process. i was planning to leave for 1 week to dry naturally before i start gradually increasing the heat. once i finish the curing i will apply the insulation (25mm ceramic insulation (i think)) and then thought of applying a layer of vermeculite as i have seen a few times on the site that you cant ever have too much insulation. after that i will apply the final waterproof render.
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-front-first-arch.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-bricks-internal.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-side-bricks.jpg  
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 AM
Peasant

Hi all

has been a while since my last post. have been busy working on the oven during weekends but regularly check updates by other forum members.

i have attached a couple of pics showing my progress to date. have two layers of insulation (approx 2-3 inches of the ceramic stuff) covered by wire mesh and under about another 2 inch of cement/sand/lime mix. will be finishing the bench tiles next weekend afterwhich i am covering the dome with a final layer of acrylic render which hopefully will provide some waterproofing (although i expect that it will never be totally waterproof).

have also been starting small fires gradually. after the first couple had some steam/vapour coming off the top of the dome (without insulation). this stopped after a few more fires and decided to place the insulation and cement mix.

so far seems to be holding well (fingers crossed). i still havent put the oven to the full heat test as i have taken other forum members advice that you can never go to slow with the curing process. hopefully i havent rushed the insulation bit but seems to be differing views on whether you this before or after the curing process. my eagerness took over on this part of the oven build.

i may try some bread while i am curing the oven but will need to build a door of some sort, at least a temporary one which i can use to test the size/design.

thanks again to all forum members as every little bit of advice and experience all goes into a melting pot with a little bit of own ideas thrown in. i think that is how each oven has its own little bit of character.

i am also starting to get a long list of people eager to try a WFO pizza plus also generated i think another 2-3 people that may give it a go. i have highly recommended this forum for advice and general information.

till next time

best regards
Attached Thumbnails
Ready for the concrete!-chimney-first-cover-1.jpg   Ready for the concrete!-chimney-first-cover-2.jpg