Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: A quick photo history

There really is no angle. The firebox I built has the 2 sidewalls, then 2 intermediate walls the angle inwards towards the rear. The rear wall then was built angling towards the front at the top. I stopped the rear wall about 8" short of the ceiling. This left an opening that is approximately 8" x 18" at the rear-top of the firebox. I also angled the ceiling of the firebox, up, towards the rear (opening). On the other side of the rear wall of the firebox there is a void between it and the brick/block work which is about 8" deep. That became the smoke chamber. I formed an 8" X 8" square hole in the rear of the oven hearth to acommodate the chimney flue. If you look at the 3rd picture down, you can see the area between the rear of the firebox layout and the rear wall, and the layout of the firebox walls. So everything kind of leads the smoke to the rear of the firebox & once it gets thru the opening, it has no-where to go but up the chimney.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Peasant

I feel like I am stalking you , as I look at your photos quite a bit. It looks like you used regular bricks inside of the fireplace, did you ? Did you extend the fireplace chimney hire as there are no pix , dont know if you are that far yet.

Since you are the only one I can find who has done this , if I build a 43" pompeii style my fireplace would have to vent under the hearth and I am concerned it would be too much of an angle.
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Apprentice

It's official, my first internet stalker! No problem, ask as many q's as you want. I'll be asking a few today myself. I'm finding that fire management may be as taxing as designing and building? Anyway, I do have some pic's of the firebox at home, I'll try to get up soon. My oven is pretty small. The bigger your oven gets, the deeper your firebox for the fireplace gets, which is an issue. If I do a general calculation on your 43" pompeii, your base will need to be 6' deep, give or take a couple inches. You'll need to add a foot to that at the rear for your fireplace flue. That's a pretty deep fireplace, and you may have to have a lot more ingenuity than than I put into mine? Maybe your vent can start in the middle of the top of the fireplace and you can run your flue on a lazy angle to the back and then up? Just some thoughts.

Wes, yes, I used solid red bricks with fireclay mortar for my firebox. My rationale was that the temps shouldn't get as high as the oven. It's more open with a bigger flue and less impedance of the heat leaving thru the front or out the chimney, and using the solids I had on hand and fireclay mortar (instead of heatstop) was a lot less costly. I did however use firebrick for the top of the firebox. I believe they were insulating firebrick as they were pretty light as compared to my low duty firebrick I used for the oven. Anyway, I layed up 3 towers of these firebrick. I filled the center hole with fireclay mortar & the 2 outer holes with rebar & fireclay mortar. Then I layed them on the firebox walls for the ceiling. I did this because I didn't want to chance the fire coming in direct contact my hearth concrete and degrading it.

Last edited by 70chevelle; 07-16-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Apprentice

I built a pretty good sized fire last nite and was extremely excited/frustrated with the results. It got going at about 7:45 pm. Just to review, 31" x 31" cooking floor, barrel vault oven, 17.75" dome height, 11.75" entry arch height x 18" wide. I started to get the white dome. I have a spot about 6" in diameter right now. If I have the opportunity, I'm going to burn another hot fire tonite.

The exciting results: At about 9:30 pm the fire was blazing, and starting to burn white on the dome. My IR therm was off the chart. It goes over 900*. The floor where the fire was burning was over 700*. The oven therm inside the oven was reading about 500*. (Not sure of it's accuracy?) Anyway, I checked the top of the dome, 3" FB blanket & 1" vermicrete, and it was a cool 68*. The sidewalls, 5" vermicrete, were 77*, which I'm sure they were cooling from the sun beating down on them all day. So my insulation was working. I checked again at 11:00 when I went inside and they were still the same readings.

The frustrating results: My wife threw together a quick pizza, since the oven was fired. I scraped the ash to one side, and the flames weren't out, but they were definitely not blazing. My dome temp dropped to about 600*, with no flames touching the dome, and the floor was about 400*, after I wiped the ash with a damp towel. The real problem came when I placed the pizza. I didn't get it in deep enough, and some of the cheese hit the floor when I 'shook' it off the peel. Then when I went to try to turn it, it was stuck. I got most of it out, and it was an ok pizza, my expectations were low as it was made with instant dough & ragu pizza sauce. Then I had to rake the coals over where the pizza was massacred to burn off the cheese & sauce that fell. So, lessons learned: Make sure to place the pizza deep enough in the oven. Make sure that you have enough release agent (corn meal, semolina, etc) on the peel. Most importantly, keep the blaze blazing while cooking pizza's. I did read a lot on the Fire Management section where it says you have to keep the flames high in the dome while cooking pizza's, but I guess the beer got the best of me. I will try again tonite.

Oh, and this morning, around 7:00 the floor temps with no door were still 170*.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Master Builder

Hang in there, my first attempts at pizza and peel work were disasters. I did not have an oven yet and set off the smoke alarms in the house! I still manage to stick a pizza every so often.

I bet your oven gets better as it dries out and cures. Mine took several fires to become consistent and fast on the heat up side. - My floor of my oven had soaked up a lot of water during the build process and the ceramic board needed to fully dry out to get efficiency back.

Christo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Apprentice

Thanks Christo, I figured it's going to need to dry out a bit, and heard that the ovens need to be seasoned before they become pretty consistent. Overall I was pleased, except for my lack of ability to place the pizza properly and manage the fire. I've been making pizza's on my grill(s) and have become pretty handy with the peel, but the grill(s) are accessible from above, which is a lot easier. The last couple pizza's I've made I've used parchment paper, and it has worked out great. What are the feelings about parchment paper in a WFO?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Apprentice

Got the top hearthstone laid last nite. Started cleaning up for a party on Saturday. Yesterday was the last day to work on the oven until after the party, according to my better half Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out my final design for the roof and chimneys. The current plan is to lay the 10 hole bricks on end the entire height of the chimney and then stucco them. The bricks to the left of the chimney is the current design for the front, and I plan to lay about 2" of high strength concrete on top of the vermicrete(w/reinforcing wire), and then stucco on top of that. I'm thinking I may get 3 more 6" wide hearthstones to lay around the perimeter of the top? The oven is functional, but I need to make it weather tight. Here are the latest pics:

After the hearth was in place and I tucked & pointed the joint, I put 2 9# pork butts on my Big Green Egg to smoke for the party. They've been cooking for 14 or so hours right now and should be done around noon. I pressure washed the flagstone and the patio furniture, to keep the wife happy also. Hopefully at lunchtime, I'll be able to take the pork off and put the 9# chuck roast on. It will hopefully be done before I leave for work tomorrow morning. I do need to remember to get some pizza dough out of the freezer in case I decide to fire up the pizza oven Saturday evening.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Serf

I made one Pizza using parchment because I was using a gluten free base and it was a little moist shall we say. the parchment blackened and pretty much burned around the edges because the floor heat was just way to high. most of those papers (at least the siliconised ones) are serviceable up to about 230C and my ovne floor is around the 400C mark.
My oven took quite a while to get over the dampness of getting the fibre blanket and vermiculite soaked (winter here), but I am keeping it covered and it is going great now.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Apprentice

OK, since my last post, I decided to add hearthstones around the entire upper perimeter. I installed them last Wednesday. This morning I poured the cement roof, layed the chimney bricks, and put on the first coat of stucco. I still have the final, colored (terra cotta), stucco to put on the chimney and skirt, and lay the brick chimney caps, and finish the openings of the fireplace & oven. Almost there. I did have success last nite cooking 3 pizza's. I was overcautious, and could have cooked them for another 20 or 30 seconds, but they were good. Here are the pics.

I've been using the fireplace a couple times a week. It is working wonderful. We had friends over twice last week, and sat around the fire, listening to music and talking. Very relaxing.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Master Builder

Too bad you can't put a trap door in the oven floor.

When you're done making pizza's, dump the upper fire into the fireplace, throw on a couple logs and you're in business.

It's turned out really great!!! It's gonna be so sweet when it turns chilly!

Christo