Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   QLD Pizza Oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/qld-pizza-oven-14845.html)

Worb 12-01-2010 02:26 AM

QLD Pizza Oven

5 Attachment(s)
I thought I might whack a few photos up of the WFO. I keep seeing these beautiful ovens by blokes with real talent. While it's great to see, it's discouraging for those of us who are masonry impaired. I thought I might add my attempt so people can see that it doesn't have to be perfect, and that any mug can have a go.

I posted some of this thread in a different area and decided to move it here as it seemed more appropriate.

The Footing, dug on a stinking hot day day with a hangover, sorry - wine flu.
Attachment 22333
Base in progress with the Cheif Quality Assurance Officer overseeing the build
Attachment 22334
Base Completed. In hindsight, this was the hardest part.
Attachment 22337
Vermicement base. Freaky stuff, I was worried it wouldn't dry, but it came good after a day or so. After having an unsuccessful go at a couple of mixing methods we found the easiest way was to pour the vermiculite and the cement into a plastic kiddie pool, mix it all around then add the water and mix again. Sounds simple, but it took a while and several big messes to come up with this master plan.
Attachment 22335
Snazzy little landing with provision for an ash pit hole, and most importantly, somewhere to rest a drink.
Attachment 22336

Worb 12-01-2010 02:34 AM

Re: QLD Pizza Oven

5 Attachment(s)
Below is my setout for the floor, my attempt at the arches (don't have a bricksaw and my bolstering is pretty hit and miss). It's rough, but going to be rendered so I wasn't too concerned about it being pretty. The bricks and the strap were my resolution to anchoring my hendo indispensable tool (and what a tool it is, could not have done without it). I ended up using a sand form towards the top. In hindsight I should have persevered with the indispensable tool, I couldn't see what I was doing with the form and it ended up being a bit of a dog's breakfast. I used a circle of mdf, cut in half(ish), overlapped and screwed together under the sand. I used a car jack to hold 'er up there. There was a moment when removing the form where I just had to rip the jack out and hope for the best. A bit puckerish, but amazingly satisfying to see the dome staying up, holding together all by itself.
Attachment 22338
Attachment 22339
Attachment 22341
Attachment 22340
Attachment 22342

I live on a corner block in a small town with my back yard exposed to the road, am getting a running commentary on my progress from everyone from the local garbo to random strangers. And the common thread - I'm gonna build an oven one day. Amazing how many people want to build a WFO, but you see so very few around.

Worb 12-01-2010 02:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Insulation blanket and vermicement. Not a fun day. Whatever they pay the laggers that work with insulation every day, they deserve double.

Finally, rendered and near finished. I still need to finish the bricks on the landing, and make the ash bin, but I fear this may never be finished now its usable.

By the way, the missus suggested (demanded) the name, I was going for MUD GUTS.

Attachment 22343Attachment 22345Attachment 22344Attachment 22346Attachment 22347

Worb 12-01-2010 03:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The end result of 5 weekends work. Bloody beautiful, from the first bite of the first pizza it was worth it. Attachment 22348Attachment 22349

Happy drunk mates (always the best critics)
Attachment 22350

The almost complete view from the back door. We made a little herb garden beside the oven. Should be just the ticket to help fuel our culinary fires.
Attachment 22351
A massive thanks to all the mates who helped, I do think it would have been cheaper to hire a helper because now I have a stack of mates who feel entitled to pizza parties. Oh well, a couple of beers and some good food with mates, could be worse.

And thanks to the wife (financial controller, motivator and mud mixer extraordinaire. She's the one that looked after the kids and let me play in the mud for a month, Thanks Bub.

fxpose 12-01-2010 08:54 AM

Cool looking build! You'll get years of enjoyment out of it.

dtrbovich 12-01-2010 09:21 AM

Good work! It looks great! You have me jealous that yours is finished lol

mn8tr 12-01-2010 12:32 PM

Very nice work, I am nearly done myself just some tile and grout work remaining.

nissanneill 12-01-2010 02:26 PM

Good one Worb,the hard work is done, now get to and finish it off with your ash pit (nothing worse than looking for suitable metal bin when you should be cook'n pizzas mate), and make yourself a good insulated door to preserve that heat after pizzas and cook your breads, roasts etc.

Cheers.

Neill

Worb 12-02-2010 11:31 PM

Nissanneill
I have squirreled away a sheet of stainless I got on the cheap. Going to fold up a purpose made ash bin, have told myself MUST BE DONE BEFORE CHRISTMAS! Also, got a mate with a new wire feeder welder and he's just itching for a project to unleash it on. I'm thinking a 3mm checkerplate hollow steel door. I'll have it made a couple of inches thick and fill it with some perlite I held back. I think she'll be apples.

I'm planning a pizza party tomorrow for a few mates. This is the practice before I get a dozen workmates over after the work christmas party in a couple of weeks. Wish me luck, am still perfecting my peel technique. Half the time the pizza ends up folded over like a taco, it's getting hard to convince the guests that it's my culinary fusion of a Mexican staple and the classic Italian pizza.

cobblerdave 12-04-2010 05:19 PM

Dear worb
So... this is where your hiding..... By the way nice neat oven can't say that about ya mates though. (mates are his friends not his wife by the way,our american "mates").
Insulated oven door:- Mine a copy from a bloke in Sydney. Just ply wood with a 50mm slab of heebel block bolted on to it The edges are cut so it fits into the oven reveal nice and tight. Hebels cheap, easy to come by (bunnings) easy to shapes Wood saw and chisel, insulated and heatproof enough.
check out the Assie section a thread called oven door thats were I found this one. It also contain a link for an Aussie firm that sells a Temp gauge that you can fit to the door which ia about $20.
Regards

Dave