Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Hi Worb
long time no speak.. hope all is well with you and yours
I was hoping you could answer a question or two on the bricks you used in you oven. Am I correct?... you have used commons not firebrick in your construction. Are they those heavyweight monsters from Warrick that I have heard of ?..... the one that weigh more than a firebrick.
And hows the oven going now....There a few oven builds now I recon that are considering using commons to cut down cost

As always Regards Dave

PS Child bride had the cyst removed off the spine and 100 per cent again and still giving me hell about renovating the kitchen
Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Laborer

Default Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Gudday Dave, good to hear from you.

I used Red commons from the local brick joint. Nothing flash, not the heavy ones from warrick. And they're holding up well, no spalling, not crumbling, look good as the day I put them in. If I was to do it again, I would happily use red brick again. It's only been 12 months or so, but I'm confident they'll go the distance.

I'm glad to hear the missus is well. And I'm sorry to hear about the kitchen reno, always big $$$$$$. I'm almost finished putting in a new laundry and dunny, and I'm well and truly over it. (Can you remember what you did with your time before wives, kids and home improvements????)

Last edited by Worb; 09-26-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Gudday Worb
Thanks for the reply and the answer to my question that you used commons for your wfo. I went down the firebrick path as you know...expensive shits to be sure...they were half my expenditure on the oven...but I don't regret it.
If I had to build another Its good to know that commons are a viable option.
I had a mate in the bush who has built a cob oven and he has enjoyed the experience but the ovens starting to fail already in the frosts.
Kitchens coming ahead...more of a makeover than reno...we have kept the cupboards etc in the same place only updating stove etc a new coat paint curtains handles,flooring the list keeps getting bigger. Should be complete by Xmas. Then next job front verandah and new stairs... recon I should fit and elevator as well and extend the verandah all the way around so I can paint the place from my wellchair
Oh what did i do before wife kids and renos...I was a young sailor travelling the world....true.

Regards Dave