Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Laborer

Default Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Attachment 23528
The cat however does get nervoius when the red dot lands on him
Have thought about the infra red thermometer but know it would end in tears when I try and take the missus's temperature while she's watching "home and away".

But you've got me curious now, what is the surface temperature of a nervous cat????
Old 03-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Attachment 23528
Got the water probs sorted I guess. Mines Dry now and sealed the only spot that will allow water in is the hearth bricks.... You can hear the little beggers such the water down. Just put a small tarp over these and probs solved looks a bi ugly but I'll think of something.

By the way, the built looks the goods Dave. I am always impressed by a man that can hang a gate/fence/doors straight. As long as my arse points to the ground, that is a feat I will never be able to pull off.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Dear Worb
There's ya problem your bum points strait to the ground... forget the straight bit.
Use to work for a builder doing renos on old queenslanders ... nothings strait
Rob use to say "Suck it up.. no use complaining "My work is strait" piss the level off stand back and look to see if it looks ...well strait ... if it does Its Straight.
Another great lesson in life was... Not To Throw Rocks At Girls..but that one got me into real trouble.....
Got a great toy/tool for your quest for the perfect roast a.......... meat thermometer. you can pick them up anywere bet ya ca find one in the local supermarket pots and pans section.
You stick um in the roast so the ends basically in the middle when it reachs the perfect temp for the type of meat and what you want rare med etc you pull the roast out. Most are even marked you know Lamb med Beef rare etc.
Bin using one for years ever now and then it get cooked or dropped and you just replace it

Regards Dave
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 AM
Laborer

Dave, I have a meat thermometer (somewhere) I'll have to dig 'er out and have a crack. The only thing is the missus is ONE OF THEM that will not eat a roast until the bloody thing is cooked all the way through. I have all but given up on roast cow because it kills me to to ruin a beautiful slab of meat.

The old man and the brother are coming down tomorrow to swap bikes (a 96 suzy bandit for a little sporty, not a bad deal I reckon) Oh well, if I must, I'll have to fire the oven, just to be social mind you.

I'm still tonguing to have a go at salt & pepper squid on the hearth. The only problem is being out in the bush it's tough to buy decent seafood. There's a seafood van doing the rounds but I'm a bit dicey buying anything out the back of a truck, let alone foodstuff with a very narrow shelf life.

Any suggestions for an easy, decent feed I can set and forget (more than likely gonna have a few, and my culinary concentration fades after a few drinks)
Old 03-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Worb
Hears a recipe if you like seafood ...its a bit of a favourite with my tribe and best thing you just use frozen fish fillets from the supermarket. He's the base recipe which you'll have to expand on cause it's only for 2

Thai fish cakes...
2 frozen fish fillets chopped
2 teaspoons Green Thai curry paste
12 green beens chopped real small
2 slices of bread break into small pieces
1 egg
put all ingredients in a blender give it a quite wiz to bring it together
Form into patties and grill on BBQ 1 to 2 mins a side

Bean salad
Can of three bean mix ( or any bean for that matter)
largist Tomato take the seeds out and chop
Cucumber wash and chop the lot skin and all
fine chopped onion or spring onion
Dressing tablespoon olive oil. lemon juice say 2 tablespoons, 2 teaspoons seeded mustard salt pepper to taste wisk up and add to mix.

Sorry if the amounts sound strange this is home recipe so its usually done by eye. It tastes good and is easy to knock together quickly and looks and tastes a bit more fancy than the effort and ingredients.

Regards Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Laborer

Thanks Dave, I'm a sucker for fishcakes so I'll give it a whirl. I also love mexican food, so a bean salad is right up my alley.

We had pizza on saturday because I was too lazy to rake the fire out and close it up. Turned out really well, we used plain flour and home made dough, but this time I used yeast from a can (best way I can describe it) instead of the sachets. Thought I went overboard with the yeast, but the dough turned out really well, puffed up at the edges. I stuck a little herb garden next to the oven when I built 'er, and I love the fresh basil on my pizzas. Well worth the effort.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Worb
Hav'nt head from you for a bit just checking your still around.
Been doing some more work on the oven added an arch at the front in n effort to stop the rain coming in an it looks like working. Used some brick from the old church building for it to. Don't worry though had a glazed brick from an old pub in sydney that we used for a door stop. Choped it up and included it just to balance things off. Sealed off all the bare brick with a Bondall sealing product recon I've got the damp solved
QLD Pizza Oven-seal-brick.jpg

Regards
Cobblerdave
Old 05-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Laborer

Dave, been busy... well being busy. Haven't logged on for a while.

Your oven looks top notch. You should be proud mate.

Had a shin dig the other week, cooked squid and red claw pizza's, a roaring success! I have learnt: show the most vocal loud mouth at the party how to cook a pizza, then they can't help themselves telling everyone else how to do it, while I slink away in to the background and have a beer. Everyone ends up having a go at peeling their own pizza, I stay hydrated (most important in our QLD climate) and a good time is had by all. A cheap, easy, fun way to feed a crowd, and at the end of the night we all end up in front of the fire 'seeing who can tell the biggest lie' (flame trees/cold chisel reference).

(By the way, Mum's got me on a low carb diet, and the 3 bean salad has been a winner, thanks digger)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Dear Worb
Good to hear from you..great to hear the ovens up and running and still providing the entertainment it started. Like the trick for getting someone to take over pizza duties for you. Every BBQ has one I suppose and once you have that apron on them and tongs in thier hand they can't help themselves can they!
Hasn't been many occasions to flash up the oven lately ...Bit of sickness in the family ...don't worry everthings all right... just hospitals and doctors and a bro sick in sydney has taken some time.
Over to me mates place next sat have another friend coming that interested in a WFO. He's already checked the forum out and I recon if he isn't hooked now he will be after next weekend... a coupla pizzas and his is Italian too...
Don't think I take over the building duties though I just sorta oversee and keep him out of trouble
Regards CobblerDave
Old 05-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Yeah right Dave, Do you really think you'll be able to help yourself and stay out of it? I know I wouldn't.

Hope the family gets better soon.