Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Laborer

Default Re: QLD Pizza Oven

Cobblerdave, I thought I'd copy my post to where it should be. I'm not across proper forum etiquette, but didn't want to hijack someone else's post.

Yes, the mates are messy. But I can lock the doors to keep them out of the house, and hose the concrete off after they go.

Had a cookup last night, oven was too hot for pizza, apparently timing is everything, the bases burnt straight away. I had more success cooking the pizza on the stainless steel peel I made up. Everyone keeps telling me (a thousand times over) about pizza stones and how I should get some, but my response is I HAVE AN 1100mm PIZZA STONE ON THE BOTTOM OF MY OVEN! I need to work out the best way to make a pizza, transfer it to the peel, slide it off in the oven and get it out again. It looks so easy on youtube. I'll comb the forum for some hints and tips. In the end, I think more practice is in order. Bugger, oh well, I 'spose if I must.

At this stage if I don't let my mate make a door he'll crack a tanty. He's a little too excited about using his new welder, I'll get a door out of him then may look at an intervention. I've got a feeling the door I'm having made might be a bit too heavy. If this proves true, the heebel design sounds like the go. I looked at the temp gauge link the other day, almost looks too good to be true. I think I may have another item on my list for santa to bring me..
Old 12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear worb
You're got etiquette you can at least speel it damn forum no spell check.

Oven doors As far as i have found out 2 types insulated and fully sealed fitted to keep the heat in the oven after the fires out. Basically when your cooking with the retained heat deap in the brick and floor. Secound type fitted just outside the chimney with provision for air to get passed into the oven and far enough forward let the smoke get away so you fire is going. Basically the fire going and your keeping heat loss down. No reason that the secound type can't be used to seal the oven when no fires still going. now that I think about it no reason it could have holes at the topand bottom as well to let the smoke out air in? Worth investigating? The hebel one I'm mucking about with with doesnt fit tightly in the entrance only the reveal so I can place it foward so air can get around it. But basically the B@#$^* bloody heavy. I know I said 50mm 2' but I had 75 mm hebel and didn't want you to make it to heavy if you choose that path. Now steels going to be hot oven gloves are going to come in handy I bet.

Now you've been offering some burn't offerings to the gods have you.. your not alone there I'd bet. I havn't got a proper peel to date. so my pizzas go on trays. bit of an advantage if you like thicker bases and toppings. Making them on the oven floor gives you pizza with puffed edges right. If you make them on trays you can prove the dough off a little longer and get puffed bases.
Heat control wish forno had those infra red thermo thingys in Aust I'd buy me one of them. Basically I flash the oven up for 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours. Little sticks 25mm thick mostly and get the flames licking up on the roof. You'll find it burns the carbon off the walls. I let the fire die down to coals push them to one side when ready to put the pizza in I add some small sticks to get the flames licking up the roof again. this will give you the radient heat to cook the tops. if the hearth cools down rake over the coals and it will heat up pretty fast. fire to one side add some sticks and your away again Ive only done this over an Hour and 1/2 so far but doing this you could keep it cooking pizza for hours I'm sure.
Well gas bagged enough
keep posting you experiences it adds to us all
Dave

Last edited by cobblerdave; 12-04-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: ad something
Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Laborer

Cobblerdave,

I think I went a bit hellboy and stoked her too much. I'm using thicker wood, and plenty of it too. I think everyone who builds a WFO must have a streak of pyro in them, when I look at the oven I can hear her saying 'Feed Me'. Must learn some self control.

When I raked the coals back to the walls, the base bricks had a bit of a glow where the air met the edge of the coals. I left it 10 minutes, then mopped the floor with my home made floor-mopping-doodad. 10 minutes was obviously not enough, but in my defence I had a crew of starving yobbos screaming PIZZA. Next time, less fire, more time, no mates.

We made a simple dough with what was in the cupboard - plain flour. I need to investigate what flour to use. Though, the plain flour dough works well, and does puff at the edges on the brick. I was sceptical that it would cook through before it burnt, but they are grouse. I burnt out the wife's mix master making the dough. I think I need to buy a heavy duty unit, I'm over kneading dough, and a pair of dough hooks does a pretty good job.

I like the idea of a door to keep the heat in while the fires going. The heat the oven throws out will be welcome in winter, but might get a bit much in summer. I've got some stainless left over, I'm thinking leave a 2 inch(ish) gap at the bottom, and place it outside of the chimney. This may help with starting, get a bit of a draft going and stop some smoke billowing out the front. Another job for THE LIST.

Am really enjoying the oven, well worth the time and money. Everyone that's seen it in action raves about it. I should have listened to the advice in Russel Jeavon's book. When people say they want to make a WFO he tells them 'yeah, but then your mates will come over and drink all your booze and eat all your food'. Wise man the Russel.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:29 AM
Laborer

I am slowly starting to get the hang of the oven.

Had all sorts of drama moving the bases to the peel and off into the oven last time. This time smaller bases (elementary my dear Watson) heaps of flour and shake that sucker to keep it loose. Pizzas turned out beautifully. I am confident I can keep a couple of dozen mates pacified next saturday after the work christmas party.

(And for an encore - apple sauce, banana and maple syrup pizzas. Mmmmmmm)

Thank you to all the FB folk who gave me the confidence to have a crack at a WFO. Anyone thinking about it, just have a go. Even the ugliest oven cooks beautiful tucker (food for the non aussies).
Old 12-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Orb
Thats sounding good.... thought ya might go to much the other way and find out how to cook the 30 min pizza....too cold.
My trick for mixing dough is the ( old not used to much these days) bread maker check out the mates bet ya someone has one thier not using.
Most have a dough cyle takes about an hour. Gives you a little time to flash a bit of heat into the oven.
Need lots;-You can make the dough a day ahead knead into individual balls wrap in platic wrap and into the fridge:- cool retards the yeast... an hour to warm up and away it goes again.
Dough left over? wrap in plactic and into the freezer ...the little yeast beggers can handle a bit of cryo and come back to life. yes I've done this and it really works would't leave it for months however.
Check the Aussie section theres a Tippo OO flour you can buy at coles. At a pinch 50/50 bread mix and plain flour makes an fair pizza dough.... bit expensive though...
Hope the rains hold off for the Xmas party... nothing peeves the missus off like a house full of half wet smelly mates......

regards dave
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
Laborer

Cheers Cobblerdave, I'll check out the dough recipes.

We've got a breadmaker and I had a go, 2 and half hours for dough is a bit more than I can handle though.

I'm surprised at the dough - we made a heap up and froze and you're right, give em an hour and it's away again. Beer and Pizza dough, how is yeast not an aussie national icon????

I think she'll be a wet one for the party, all the yokel farmers are predicting rain. But no worries about the mates inside, the missus is locking the doors.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Worb
Jas and me have taken to measuring the rain in our wheel barrows saves time in empty them out every few hours!!!
2 1/2 hours for a dough!! check the settings out you might have it set on wholemeal or extended time my old thing takes 1 1/2 hours... perfect for heating the oven.
You know they make Vegemite out of the left over yeast from beer making... its true... nothing better than vegemite on fresh bread after a good night full of vit B... talk about hair of the dog that bite ya!!!
My BBQ's built in but not under cover so... an early present from santa arrived and is under cover on the back deck.... a Webber Q. A fancy bit of kit
havent figured out how to cook pizza on it yet.... pehaps a few left over oven bricks cut down use like a pizza stone...yep the missus would kill me but it would be fun to find out.
Regards
Dave
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Laborer

Cobblerdave,
You're not wrong about the rain. I think it's me, every time I light the WFO it pisses down. Still, beats 40 degree days and watching the garden slowly turn different shades of brown.

I've checked the bread maker and I'm right, 2 and a half hours for dough. Too long for an impatient fat man.

We had an afterparty after the work christams party. Mum had drama lighting the fire while I was at the party (my fault for not building it right) I got home about 3 to a smoking mess, I rejigged the firewood and away she went. It was roaring a by about 4:30, and I kept slowly feeding it. By the time we'd got the guests lubricated, and the oven to temp, away we went. All the while, sporadic rain followed by stinking humiditiy and sunshine, interspersed with gale force wind and downpours.

I've got a 5 metre tiled bench with my 6 burner bbq that serves as a brilliant work surface. We split the dough and I recruited some dough rollers. It ended in a massive flour fight, but hey, it's christmas.

The pizzas went over well, small pizza's-everyone made their own, and I explained the finer points of the oven and the cooking process while their pizza was cooking. The oven cooled off a bit much halfway through, but another gutfull of kindling got it up to temp again.

THe pizza was a roaring success, everyone loved it and enjoyed watching the cooking. The oven rocks, it gives a bit of a talking and focal point, and beats the arse off a bbq anyday. And we can have the ambience of a fire without worrying about drunks and kids falling into it. All round, a 10 out of 10.

We estimates it cost around $1000 - $1500 and about 4 good weekends of work (I get an RDO every 2nd monday). Best money we ever spent. I would reccommend it to anybody on the provisos 1) you got decent area to cook in (or have one planned) I have a 10m x 6m entertaining area with all the mod cons. I would not like to be standing in the sun playing with the oven. And 2) you enjoy a long afternoon spent playing with fire and are relaxed about the timing of your meals, (for the first few months anyway).

In regards to gas bbq's, I went with a $300 dollar cheapie, 6 burner single flat plate. Ease of cleaing is a priority for me because I hate a dirty bbq and the hooded jobbies with the grill plate look good, but in my experience are a challenge to cook on and a bastard to clean. But the weber q's look the goods. By the look of them you'll be able to pass it on to the grandkids, they look like a quality bit of gear. Also I've read they use bugger all gas, which if you are using it a fair bit, it a ral bonus. And have a go with the bricks, I'm sure mum would rather see you use it than have it gather dust in the shed.

All the best to the fb crew for christmas. I'm at the inlaws, wishing I was at home stuffing some wood inside the Mistress. (Mistress is the name for my wfo,....what did you think I meant?)
Old 12-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Serf

Thanks all of you here who has given their inputs in this thread. Very helpful thread.. Also thanks for including images too..
Old 12-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Worb
I've gone past being sick of the wheather to getting a bit worried. We have copped a pasting. Got 75mm 3" in an hour last sat I have Never seen rain like it in Brisbane. Been bucketing down over Xmas and todays the worst yet we have a full dam and a high tide so they can't let it go.....yet when they do it's going to be pretty nasty.
Jas has a good idea he an ex cook and recons you can pick up some commercial mixes from certain places in brisbane>seems like you feed a "cast of thousands" might be the go give him a post and find out more.
Xmas was good.... spose to have pizza but the ovens in the open not under cover like yours. Seafood was the order of the day. Son No2 did the duties this year and lined up for an hour to get it.
Menu for Breaky Ham and eggs off the BBQ cant beat it
Menu for lunch Singapore chilly crab and various salads. We have it down to a fine art now. Its SOOO Good but Messy!!! Plastic table ware and tablecloth ya have to eat it with your hands so a bucket of water and lemon an a towel over a chair helps. When that course is finish pick the lot up in the tablecloth and in the bin Hopfully no one leaves there keys on the table Happened one year... nasty buisness getting that out of the bin next day.
Dinner After eating and drinking all that day Fresh prawn grilled on the BBQ and peanut sauce. Morten Bay Bugs parsley butter nd cheese under the grill and fresh prawns..... couldn't eat me sweets that night.
Xmas was great me mums up for a while and I had both boys home .....a good family xmas.
You right.. cant beat a big flat grill when you feeding more than a few you can pump through a few snags on a 6 burner.
The Qs a bit freaky... cooks with the lid down so ya cant see anything you got to trust you timing. Works really well.. best steaks real quik and you have to be lazy to burn anything .The old BBQ just about hadit we don't have that many over a one time these days so I think its days are numbered will not get ride of it quite yet...
Yes I did try to cook a pizza on the Q on boxing day bored with the rain results were...well...you can't beat the WFO
KEEP DRY
Dave