Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Premio Oven Final Pictures

On the roof ... yes, very heavy 2" thick Colorado flagstone. the whole oven structure is concrete block and flagstone. under the roof is insulated concrete and rebar and steel angle iron. The flagstone was mounted to concrete board held in place with rebar. It's not going anywhere. I was originally going with metal studs and a simple tile roof. I was also going to use really think veneer stone. Things worked out differently, but I'm happy with the design.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Apprentice

Beautiful oven and outdoor kitchen. What did you use for your roofing material? I am thinking to do something similar with my own. I have a temporary shelter over the top of my oven for now (I'll begin the finish construction of the oven and kitchen counters/bar/bbq next year) I'm planning to place concrete countertops but I haven't settled on my roofing material yet. Now that I am looking at your pics closer did you make your own concrete countertops and roofing to match or is that some special stone?

OOPs just saw your final post. Nice work!

Last edited by ATK406; 11-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred.collins View Post
OK ... here you go ... the fire and the pizza. As stated earlier, I learned that one or two ingredients trumps a ton (as pictured) and I need to pre-cook the red peppers and onions.
Love your build Fred, that stone is lovely! I can't even imagine lifting that rock to the roof...I'm in awe!

As for your onion and red pepper: no need to precook, but do coat them in olive oil and slice them thin as someone else here suggests. I've read that the flavor of onions and garlic grows bitter/stronger/more intense if allowed to oxidize. Coating them in oil keeps out the air for better flavor, but also helps them fry as they cook in that intense heat instead of drying out like leather.

Again, great job on your oven, it's a beauty!
Lburou likes this.