Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Pizza oven - New Zealand.

Hi all the other kiwis!
Just thought I would add in my 20c on the cost of fire bricks - CRAZYYYY! I have gone down the second hand brick route. I picked up a load of fire bricks off trade me for $1.50 - in this scenario the cost saving is worth it I think.
As for the indespensible tool. I am about to build one so will place some good photos. Best one I have seen utilises a castor wheel from Bunnings for the central pivot - look out for pics soon!
Cheers - Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Laborer

$1.50 each I assume ?
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Peasant

I know it sounds wrong - but - $1.50 the lot about a hundred. All I had to do was pick them up from 20 minutes up the road.
I then had a trade me triumph on getting more than enough blocks for $85 dollars, then flicked off half of them for a further $55 - Net of $35 for the blockwork
My good lady has imposed a challenge of the oven for under $600 - I am looking pretty good after I picked up refractory mortar on trade me - $80 for 4 bags from Ironmaiden4 on Trade Me - hope this helps on the cost fronts
Catch ya again - Andy
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM
Peasant

That's impressive buying Andy.

The cost of firebricks is horrific in NZ, but it sounds like you are doing a great job working in the bosses budget.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 AM
Master Builder

Hi Waikato,

Now can you explain that in English? So you got 100 bricks @$1.50 a brick. Then you traded your motocycle for $85, so you could buy blocks? Then you sold half of them for $55, so you only have $35 invested in your blocks? But I'm totally lost with your refractory mortar on Trade me?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Pizza oven - New Zealand.

Gudday Laurentius
Trust me its easier to understand when written....if you heard that spoken you would really be confused.
And again trust me again our Kiwi friends will not be offended by remarks made by an Aussie.....they will just remind me the all blacks won the footy and all will be square ....for a while

Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Laurentius
Trust me its easier to understand when written....if you heard that spoken you would really be confused.
And again trust me our Kiwi friends will not be offended by remarks made by an Aussie.....they will just remind me the all blacks won the footy and all will be square ....for a while

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Master Builder

Lmao, ya it was pretty hard for me to grasp that too
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Peasant

OK - So, to recap - yes the AB's won the rugby - enough said from Oz! And yes you have the closest "relationship with your sheep"!, once again, enough said! (This is humor not insults by the way.

Trade Me is the kiwi equivalent of Ebay, where you buy and sell stuff on line

I picked up 100 bricks for $1.50

The blocks did end up at $35

The refractory mortar - 4 bags for $80

The reason I included the sellers ID "Ironmaiden4" was so that the other kiwi's that had recently commented, who also appear to be in a build process, could then take advantage of a good price and product. Hopefully making the time I had expended trying to find the mortar at a fair price would not have been a total waste. There are some retailers selling refractory mortar at $80 per bag - four times the price. New Refractory bricks range in price from $4 up to $7.50 each. This can make your pizza oven very expensive. Even ceramic insulation appears to have been brushed with gold!! Maybe its because we are a bit remote, or something?

Anyhow, hope this has clarified things a bit - cheers Andy (go the AB's, lol)