Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Pics of inside brick ovens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
I has a casted arch? And they are able to ship a unit built of brick without it breaking apart? I guess it's possible if they don't use UPS.
In Naples the door is a standardized item. All ovens of all sizes use the same cast iron arch. Doing a google image search for Neapolitan Pizza Oven will give you lots of different angles.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
This will make you feel better RJ.

I had to go back in and point some mortar in there. It has been more than 6 years since I built it and no bricks have fallen out!

I built with forms and it shows in the mortar problems...

Drake
My oven has similar gaps. I went in and mortared after the fact although the oven form manufacturer said I dont need to, it was bothering me.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was careful to wipe off any extra mortar between each joint as I went up so luckily didn't have to go back in later.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of inside brick ovens?-wfo.jpg  
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gianni,

What did you use for your floor - looks pretty clean?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

Soapstone, baby! I found a local countertop guy on craigslist who had cutoffs that had virtually no veins in them for $200. He has since come by the house and downed numerous beers while asking me endless questions about the oven
Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very cool! I don't mean to hi-jack this thread but how thick does it come. I would like to replace my entry brick with this stuff. It looks like you can wipe it clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Soapstone countertop material comes in 3cm (1 1/4") here on the west coast. On the east coast you can get it 3-4", which I believe works way better in evading oven floor cracking. Windage installed this in his commercial 81" monster oven.

I elected to go with a stainless (ordered it today as a matter-of-fact) entry for two reasons. As noted earlier by Chris (SCChris), soapstone bleeds oven floor heat like engine cooling fins, and being the porous beast that it is, soapstone stains terribly. Chipster reported this a few weeks back. A heatbreak would limit the bleed, bubt not sure you can seal an entryway safely. Sure, it's pretty and yes it does wipe off with a damp rag, but I anticipate a slew of bubble-overs in my oven and entryway and decided to go with the more expensive ($69 for 3/16"-thick) stainless.

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 09-13-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I'm a goofball
Old 09-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bummer - I was trying to avoid the stains. Back to plan A, I am going to place a very thin (.04 - .062) piece of stainless in the entry brick. It really shouldn't affect cleaning out the oven and it is simple to clean. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Les,

Interested on how you do Plan B SS entry. Are you going to just cut to fit entry and cover bricks from staining or fasten to the entry?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Bummer - I was trying to avoid the stains. Back to plan A, I am going to place a very thin (.04 - .062) piece of stainless in the entry brick. It really shouldn't affect cleaning out the oven and it is simple to clean. Thanks for the feedback!
Les,

i tried the Stainless Steel entry with a thin piece bent down at sides and near entry and every time i fired up the oven it would get heat stressed and curl up. Making it very difficult to remove my door if it was in.

Back to the drawing board.

I now have a thicker piece 11GA approx 1/8 inch that I will try once I get it cut to size; it will be flat no bends. I think John (GianniFocaccia) has the right idea with the 3/8 inch piece but I got my 1/8 for free so it is worth a try.

Chip

Last edited by mrchipster; 09-13-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: clarified Stainless Steel