Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Park Oven Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
errrr ahhumm ... no insulation on the hearth
Ouch.

LOVE your stand design and your work looks great. How far along are you on the dome? You might want to take a break and think about that insulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

gooday ken524....
i will be insulating the dome at a later stage during construction.
have not had a chance to work on it because of the weather and other commitments. fully intend to get into it again very soon and will post further pics.will have it fired up before xmas but not fully finished.
warren ........
Old 11-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
errrr ahhumm ... no insulation on the hearth
Youll be pushing to get the oven to retain any heat without hearth insulation, all the heat will just flow out of of the floor..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Warren,

We are concerned that your oven doesn't have any insulation UNDER the cooking floor. From the pictures it appears you placed your floor bricks right on the surface of the concrete hearth.

Updated!

Old 11-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

Thanks all for the feedback .... and i have had a look at your ovens .... unreal!
am now thinking that i may have to do some insulating underneath ... by what you are all telling me.
will concentrate on the dome etc for now and later on will modify the underneath of the slab with insulation.
this will give me thinking time of how to go about it as i may have to take a different approach to do it.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You always have the open area underneath to fill with insulation..

Old 11-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Master Builder

I personally would tear down the partially built dome and install proper insulation between the slab and the oven floor. There's no telling how the oven might perform simply by insulating under the slab. Heat will still bleed off the edges of the slab and into the cinder blocks on all sides. The oven floor must be completely isolated from the concrete slab for optimal performance.
I'm sorry to see this happen on an otherwise fine looking build.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 11-22-2010, 05:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another possibility might be to pull up the floor bricks, put down 2" of insulating board, then reinstall the floor.

Since the entry and dome are not yet complete, the design could be modified to accommodate the elevated floor.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but should be better than putting insulation under the hearth slab.

Updated!

Old 11-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Another possibility might be to pull up the floor bricks, put down 2" of insulating board, then reinstall the floor.

Since the entry and dome are not yet complete, the design could be modified to accommodate the elevated floor.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution, but should be better than putting insulation under the hearth slab.
That, I think might be the easiest fix, leaving only the bottoms of the dome wall uninsulated. But I think heat loss around that entire perimeter could still be significant.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 11-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

updated 26-11-10
Attached Thumbnails
Park Oven Progress-019.jpg   Park Oven Progress-020.jpg   Park Oven Progress-021.jpg   Park Oven Progress-022.jpg   Park Oven Progress-023.jpg