Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Serf

Default Re: Oven Rises From the Ground-Toluca Lake CA

Woodchuck-Yes, the tree is a concern. I am right on the edges of the canopy and it is open directly above with only a few branches 20 or so feet above. There is one branch directly above that I will trim back.

FX-The weather has be sublime. Perfect for all sorts of backyard fun. I'm unhappy the oven isn't ready now. The goal is to install the Casa2G 80 on there. Which is the 32 inch.

Dino-The puppy loves helping. Sure he will enjoy helping with the pizzas even more. Yes, the interior of the stand is packed with rubble and dirt and will be paved with bricks from the edge of the opening to the back. Just like it would be if it had been built to one level. Thanks for the catch though, it would have been a pain to retrieve wood from the abyss. BTW, your build is the one from which I have gleaned the most information. All of my questions have been answered by your and others builds. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Peasant

Used the old "building inspector" pet joke in my thread too....

Wood fired pet lovers.. that sounds so wrong

Jon
Cardiff

Last edited by jota112233; 05-03-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Master Builder

Hello neighbor.......any updates on your project?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 09-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Serf

Sorry for the lack of updates. We finally ran up to Monterey and picked up the oven a few months back. Truck ran a bit low to the ground and we had to drive carefully but made it back in one piece. We set it up on the hearth and I insulated it so quickly that I forgot to take any pictures.

In progress. Insulation on and curing fire going strong. Much too strong.

Here is a close up of the oven during the curing phase. My wife, insisting the oven be civilized, picked out and installed the tile work. Curing fire, much too big, and we got lots of steam. We have a few hairline cracks, but nothing that compromises the structure.

1st Pizza Cooking. They were a little rough on the first cooking. Still holding gallons of water, getting up to and holding heat were a challenge. The new oven also seemed to impart some not entirely appetizing flavors on the pizzas. Now the oven heats up quickly, holds heat for days and the pizzas are coming out with only pizza flavors and smells.

Here is where we are, up to this point. Still needs a coat of stucco and a concrete floor for the wood storage. But otherwise this oven is good to go and is throwing out some fabulous, thin crust pizza like we got in Italy.

This has been a pretty easy process. The Casa oven was easy to assemble and has worked perfectly. We have had several parties and now everyone is asking to come over. We did end up doing a bunch of trimming to the tree above the oven. Too much heat was playing havoc on the leaves and branches.

The next update probably will cover the final stucco coat, and then we are done.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Master Builder

Thanks for that update and glad your'e enjoying your new oven!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO