Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oven in North Yorkshire UK

That is just beautiful! Everything looks like it went together so smoothly!(and quickly)
cecelia
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM

I think the modern repro chimney pots are made from the same refractory clay as the flue tiles. I love the old pots, though. Maybe you could take the chimney up a couple of more courses to get the flue gasses cooled off...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Really excellent build! I love the way it fits into the existing structure.

You SHOULD try to get your chimney at least two feet above anything withing 10 feet of it, so I like dmun's idea of building it up a few courses. I don't know about the UK, but that is code in the US.

Again, it is a great looking oven, thanks for sharing!
Drake

PS, better get a metal hose reel! That plastic thing looks out of place with all that beautiful old stone!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beautiful oven,,, Have you considered painting the inside top of the chimney with some kind of ceramic kiln coating, Not sure, but it might help reflect some of the heat off of it... Good Luck and Enjoy,,
Mark
Old 09-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Serf

What a fantastic oven and so good to see another one being built in the UK. I am just about to start construction of the dome and am trying to decide whether to use angle iron to support the dome entrance and have a stand-alone vent dome or to have an arched entry like yours. Am I correct in assuming that your vent arch is built in firebrick?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Serf

Hi There,
I am in UK too and just been scared off putting a pot on top of my oven.
See this US site.
Chimney Pots from ChimneyPot.com-Home Page
It seems to suggests that the temp should not be a problem. Can you tell us more about the type of pot you used? Could it have been a repro maybe?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Journeyman

Mikey,
My chimney liner was pretty industrial strength, seemingly, but the heat did crack it. I think the pot in the photos appears to be a little higher up, and therefore may be a bit cooler up there. ( gasses having a chance to expande and even out in space)

Those pots may be designed to take the heat better since they are designed to extend above the chimney.

Lars.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Serf

Now after 2 exploding pots I think I may have got a fix for the problem. In the original design the flue liner stopped at the base of the pot, allowing supoer hot fumes to fill the pot as they escaped. I have extended the flue liner so that it now stops at the top of the pot (have to trim it back to fit neatly). I think I still need to add some vermiculite cement inbetween the gap of the liner and interior of the chimney as I have still managed to crack the last pot slightly with the heat. At least they don't 'explode' any more.
The oven has undergone some modifications last week as I was getting a lot of water delivered onto the stone hearth that then soaked into the floor of the dome. We have extended the stone roof forward of the front face of the chimney so that water now falls past the stone hearth. Should an oven be re-cure after a wet winter by the way? How are people running ovens through wet winters, my dome is cold but dry so is it OK to fire it up without a cure? The oven floor feels a bit wet towards the opening.
Many Thanks
Ill Post some new photos tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 AM
Laborer

threedi

I take my hat off to you Sir. What a nice looking oven and it really does, compliment the coach house.

I hope you find a solution to the chimney problem.

Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 02-17-2010, 04:10 AM
Peasant

I rate this as the best oven I have seen IMHO, excellent job.

A couple questions please?

1. Does the 6" diameter pipe give enough 'draw' to suck out the smoke?

2. What type of mortar did you use to build the dome?

Mick