Old 10-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven Build in Asheville, NC

I think the top of the stand is vcrete, the white strip is only used as a spacer, its not ceramic fiber board or calsil. I may be wrong.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:17 AM
Peasant

Correct...the top of the stand is vcrete. I think the white strip you are seeing is just the white cardboard spacer that I placed between the wall and the floor.

Thanks for looking and backing me up.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Master Builder

Very cool!!! I have seen many make that mistake. Your oven is looking great. Looking forward to the updates on your progress.

Faith
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Peasant

Made one small step ahead this weekend...got the IT installed on the oven floor. All the cracks around the floor are covered with duct tape and I am ready to start laying bricks. I have started cutting bricks in half and hope to have some time this week to start laying brick.

I wish I had installed and used the IT to place my first chain of upright bricks. I used the floor and cardboard spacer to place the bricks but now see that the IT would have been more accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in Asheville, NC-1211_oven_201.jpg  
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM
Peasant

Made lots of progress in the past week! I poured a second slab for my charcoal grill and gas stovetop that will be next to the oven. Also laid the first two courses of bricks and started the structure to support the flue.

I started this with lots of confidence but now as I am actually at the point of joining the flue to the oven I realize it is lots more complicated than I thought. I am going to study, look at the forum for examples, and give it more thought before moving ahead. When I have enough clarity to ask intelligent questions I will start a thread in the building section.

Thanks for looking and for your support!!
Attached Thumbnails
Oven Build in Asheville, NC-1211_woodoven_002.jpg   Oven Build in Asheville, NC-1211_woodoven_001.jpg   Oven Build in Asheville, NC-1211_woodoven_004.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Rob,

Making good progress. As you make your arch form, be sure to leave enough relief to remove the form. Also save the form as a template for your door. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought of saving the form as a pattern for the door.

Still thinking about how to cut the bricks for the arch. I have not made the form yet so maybe the path will become clear after I get the form made and a layout done, at least on paper.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are you considering tapering the inner portion of the arch? Although more work up front it will make life much easier mating the dome to the arch. Gianni Foccacia has some details on doing this for both a full and partial arch (like yours).
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Peasant

Russell,

Yes, my plan is to taper the bricks so that I do not have huge mortar joints on the outside.

I did an internet search and a search on this site for Gianni Foccacia but did not come up with information on making the arch. Can you point me in the right direction to find the information? Thanks for your support.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Peasant

Russell,

Just read your post again and I may not understand what you mean by "tapering the inner portion of the arch". Can you expand on that a little?