Old 07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oasis Rising

I guess I tend to overbuild things most of the time. Nothing worse than putting a lot of effort into something and having it fall apart on you.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Apprentice

Wife wants to do some kind of tile. We are still trying to figure out what kind. I guess that depends on how the gable and chimney end up looking.

On a side note, we went to Stuzzi's (A new wood fired pizza place that uses all imported ingrediants) in Carytown yesterday and had pizza. We sat at the pizza bar and watched and the owner came over and we started talking. I showed him pictures of the oven build on my Iphone and he gave me a bunch of tips on how to cook in it and gave my wife some tips on making dough and how to make the crusts. He told us where to buy good mozzarella in town ( and now my wife is determined to make her own as well.
Here is a picture of his fantastic oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Apprentice

Very nice. Is that a marble hearth?

I need to get down there and check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Master Builder

wow, nice oven. does it vent in the front?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:11 AM
Apprentice

Yes, it vents in the front and then has a custom pipe that carries it to the center. He was telling me about the process of making it. They used lava rock for the insulator under the oven floor. A friend from Italy built the oven (brick) and he built a superstructure of rebar over top of it and covered that with a mix of refractory cement and vermiculite. The Pizza was magnificent. Makes me want to get outside and work on mine.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Apprentice

So I got up this morning and ran 3 miles. (not so easy to do after 2 martini's last night.)
When I got back I skimmed thru the arch photo's on here for inspiration and got back outside. I started working around 9:30 and finished around 5...actually not finished. I am making some pizza's but while the oven heats up I am going to wrap some insulating blanket on it.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Apprentice

I can't get the darn thing right side up

Old 07-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Apprentice

Last week I hardly did anything to the oven. Today I went outside at 9 and worked till 5:30. stopped for lunch. My lovely bride was by my side in the 104 degree heat. I put up an additional tarp up to totally shade us while we worked. Made good progress but it was hotter than Heck out there We took a dip in the pool at lunch time and I grabbed a beer and a nap next to the pool when I called it quits.

I am building up a foundation to add extra support and strenglth to the chimney since it will be going up so high to clear the pergola.

Last edited by WoodchuckDad; 07-25-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Apprentice

Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Apprentice

It's 9:25 pm and still 93 degrees outside. Tomorrow's forecast is 106 degrees. I will make pizza tomorrow but not sure I will be laying bricks.