Old 06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Oasis Rising

As Bob Weire, the form carpenter I worked with for a couple of summers as a kid used to say, "This ain't no pie-ano, boy, hustle up!".
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the encouragement. My plan is to keep pushing forward. Tomorrow I will figure out and document my problem and my solution for the transition. when I dry fit the bricks, I was happy. Everything fit well. Then I tore it down,, mixed my mortar and started toactually lay the bricks and when I got to the top I realized it was messed up. I have spent the last 2 hours pouring over picture of other builds trying to find the best solution. This section is the first in which I had to use shims. I cut little wedges from a firebrick to keep the pieces from dropping down. I'm heading off to bed. Not gonna solve this till I get back out there and start carving bricks with the angle grinder.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Apprentice

This is the ugliness

Not only is there a severe teardrop shape but I also ended up with a pretty chunky hole. And I didn't intend for the bricks to slop downward as hard as they do.

I didn't get started today until 1pm. I grabbed the angle grinder and a hand ful of bricks and started shaving and cutting bricks until I had something to fit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Apprentice

I ended up with a structure that feels pretty solid. I was able to push down pretty hard , and it didn't seem delicate althogh I have had a few bricks slide toward the inside of the dome when I forgot I couldn't push on them. when I'm working on another brick.

My son thinks it looks like atank with no track.

We took a break to enjoy some pizza on the grill for dinner.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Apprentice

then I got back to work and after a long day I have a shape I think I can live with.

I wouldn't call it an elegant transition, but I think it will be functional. I will carve a brick to fit down in that hole and plug it up. I have to say, after all is said and done, I have gained a lot of respect for this simple dome archetecture. It is stong and even a bit forgiving.I now have 7 full courses above the soldiers. I am thinking that I need 4 more courses and then I will be ready for the Keystone.

Last edited by WoodchuckDad; 06-06-2010 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Apprentice

That piece sticking up will be cut off once the mortar sets, I needed an extra piece of brick to set the key for that course and this one was the perfect shape....just too long.
Here is a shot of how it looks from underneath.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Master Builder

Actually, it's looking quite good. Once you shave off the jagged edges the transition will have a nice smooth look to it.
I too had trouble there but it all seemed to come together at the end. I covered my 'ugliness' with layers upon layers of mortar...

George

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 06-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Apprentice

I did the Eighth course tonight. it worked fine......had to hammer the key in on that one and it didn't quite set flush with the other stones. But the next course wasn't happening. I need a form of some kind. Exercise ball or sand or something. I'm gonna try the ball first.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Apprentice

Since I worked till almost midnight the night before (on my "dayjob"), yesterday morning I took a couple hours off and I built the form inside my oven that I hope will allow me to close the dome this weekend. .....LET ME DRAW A LINE IN THE SAND> I WILL CLOSE THE DOME THIS WEEKEND!!.
I used an old piece of fanfold insulation I had in the shop. Tonight I cut the bricks into 3rds and pieced together everything for the dome except the Key stone. Tomorrow morning, I will get out there and start doing the last 2 courses. Then I will cut the Keystone. I probably won't get to the keystone till Sunday ( have to go pick my daughter up at the airport, 100 miles away tomorrow night.)I'll post some pictures tomorrow or Sunday.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Apprentice

this morning i set the two courses and then the additional 4 pirces of the center section. I need to set the keystone. i cut it just ran out of time. I pulled the form and got inside to clean it up as best i can. i found a few voids where the mortar didnt work its way all the way to the inside. i will point that up tomorrow morning and I will set the keystone tomorrow. I am very excited about that. I will post pictures tonight but right now I am driving(riding ....not surfing net and driving) up to DC to pick up my daughter from the airport.