Old 02-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oasis Rising

I will wait for Jay's reply but betting they were over proofed.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Apprentice

The pork came out great. So who is Jay who will reveal to me my bread mistakes?

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

Feeling pretty cocky after that good looking pork shoulder...eh WCD. Take a look at this thread about bread. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...ued-15376.html (Sourdough Failure Continued....) there is a lot of threads in that same section. Good place to start.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Apprentice

Excellent, thank you....link was wrong but had a pointer at the bottom of the page to this one.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f11/...ure-15367.html (Sourdough Bread FAILURE!!)

I think it was a combination of overproofing, and heat. I rushed the heat on the oven that day as compared to previous days of bread making where I had greater success. I also think my dough was to moiste. the Bolle wouldn't hold it's shape...just spread out to the sides.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Peasant

WCD,

What a wonderful story! What a wonderful oven! What incredible pizzas and breads!

Your story inspires me to get that oven door project going so I can bake bread, too!

Thanks!

Nick
Old 02-27-2011, 06:45 PM
Apprentice

You mentioned building a door...So I thought I would show mine. I snatched an oven door off of an oven at the county dump. I cut it apart with an angle grinder then used the pieces to fabricate a door for my oven. I did this all Thanksgiving morning....well actually around noon since I went hunting for a couple hours that morning. I had some stainless sheet metal screws but came up kind of stumped when it was time to make handles. I found an unused hacksaw blade in the garage and used it for one of the handles then had to scramble around....and ended up using a piece of metal strapping that held the steel roofing material when I got it.

I had planned to reuse the insulation material in the oven, which I expected to be ceramic fiber. It was fiberglass. I packed it in there but don't think it provides near enough insulating power. Come summer, I will disassemble the door and fill it with vermiculite cement mix.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
Apprentice

We made pizza tonight and it was fantastic. I took plenty of time to heat load the oven, then after the pizzas I spread the coals out again.

I swept the coals out and gave it a half hour to even out the heat.

I timed that to the end of my bread rise and formed my two loaves. The oven was still a bit warmer than I want it to be...over 600 degrees in the center of the floor so I cracked the door to loose some heat and put in a frying pan of water. It's been 45 minutes So I'm about to go put my loaves in and see if I can improve on last week's performance.

Last edited by WoodchuckDad; 02-27-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Apprentice

Whole wheat, wheat berries, and multi-grain.

I'm pleased

Old 02-28-2011, 07:02 AM
Peasant

Awesome! Now I'm REALLY revved to get a door for my oven!

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Apprentice

Looking good. 2 years ago my brother and I decided to build one. We live next door so it is was a great idea. we woke up one morning and started. We put in 196hrs each and had the greatest time building it. We became obsessed and when it was finished actually went into building withdrawal. Our family and friends love it. Savor the sweat and sore muscles. When it is done it will be a sense of accomplishment that will be enjoyed by all.
Enjoy the build,
Guy