Old 11-29-2010, 05:05 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Oasis Rising

I forgot to mention that I made our Thanksgiving turkey in the forno. It was the juciest I have ever made. I think we might be on to something. I kept fire in it the whole time. For one thing, I don't have a proper door yet and for another I didn't get started till late. Took me about 4 hours to cook it but it came out great. Here is the new roof. I know I should clean up after I do my work but I'm lazy. I think my wife is running out of patience with my leaving of tools all around.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Laborer

I too am passed the "permission to leave tools all around" phase.

Looks outstanding!. Remember when you were worried about the transition to the arch?We did 2 ducks on a bed of vegetables - came out great.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Apprentice

Looks Great! We did the turkey in the oven too but I pulled the coals out so we could do bread first and then the Turkey, Corn Bread, Potatoes and Stuffing.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Oasis Rising-thanksgiving2010-036.jpg   Oasis Rising-thanksgiving2010-027.jpg   Oasis Rising-thanksgiving2010-045.jpg  

Last edited by DaveW; 11-29-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Apprentice

So I cleaned up completely today....hoping to score some points.....and when the wife came home...she didn't even notice. I wonder how long it will take for her to catch on.
I must say,, with all the crap removed, it looks pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Apprentice

Fall and Winter have been Busy. We have continued to fire up the oven at least once a week. If we don't make Pizza for a week, the wife or kids start getting a bit impatient. That makes me happy because it justifies all the hard work that we have done.

My technique is getting better and my wife has started to make the crust a bit thicker because it gives it more of that chewiness we crave.
We even did our holiday turkeys in the oven. So moist. Way better than deep frying.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Apprentice

I took my first shot at deep dish pizza this month. I need to make the crust a bit thinner. It looked overcooked but was delicious. the Eating machine (my 15 year old) loved them.

I have also started to have success with bread. I did some Olive bead following the pizza's the last few times.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Apprentice

One of the things that kept me busy this winter was hunting. I had one of my deer processed into burger and sausage. the sausage has been perfect for pizzas. Everyone who eats it has loved it.....they don't all know what it was.

I didn't get any pictures, but I have also started using the next day stored heat. I made a roast in a cast iron pot the day after pizza.. put it in at 7 am and took it out at noon. It was falling apart, So tender.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Serf

Thanks for the update. I enjoyed following the build and I'm glad to see you are getting good use out of the oven.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Master Builder

Wow WCD, you were busy. It all looks great. I see you stuffed the turkey. How long and at what temp was it cooked? Your pizza skills will improve, are you teaching those boys to open the dough? The faster they can make em, the faster they can eat em.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Apprentice

There can be no success without failure. I had a disappointing bread night last night. IT tastes good but the tops didn't brown and they all fell when I put the in the oven. One of them even folded in half. None of them developed the rich golden crust I desired.
The pizzas we cooked came out good so it wasn't a total bust.

Today i am using some of the residual heat to cook a pork shoulder. I started a very small fire to smolder some fresh pear and oak over to create smoke. I have opened the door because I need to bleed off some heat as well.