Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Oasis Rising

how is your vent working out? Good draft? My plan is to pretty much copy your design

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Apprentice

It drafts well once it warms up. At first I have gotten some smoke out the front but not much. I try to start the fire under the chimney to warm it up. I will be adding 4 more feet to the chimney so then it will draw like a dragon.

My slow journey to pizza.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Laborer

4 more feet so the total will be 12 feet I assume?

Old 07-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Apprentice

WC!

Nice build! Thoroughly enjoyed reading your build thread. LOVE the brickwork... especially the odd rock thrown in there! Nice front arch, too... we must be drawing inspiration from a couple of the same sources.

Keep up the posts. Looking forward to seeing you finish it!

CB
Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

I just realized that I havn't shown any of the Pizza that I made in this oven yet. So here is a pic of the oven when I knew it was ready to rock.

My wife wanted to make some Brotchen first so we cooked it up. 2-3 minutes and it was nice and crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.

They came out perfect this time. And the crust we let rise then froze and thawed out a few weeks later had a nice sour flavor to it.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Apprentice

Mmmmm! Nice!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM
Apprentice

I have a ton of stuff weighing down on me the last month. It seems to rain every evening and I had to put some time into final prep for my GSEC test. But I am getting ready to make my final charge on this thing and get the roof on before hunting season begins. As you can see on the left I started building it up to support the chimney. I will try to get the right hand side of it up to match this weekend. Once I do that and tie it in to the front face, I think I will be only a week or two from putting on the roof.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Apprentice

I got back at it yesterday. I built up the front and made some progress. Then I did something stupid. When I was finishing up I had some mortar left so I packed it in around the bottom the the clay chimney piece so that I would be able to fill the void between the chimney piece and the bricks with vermiculite. a couple hours later I started a fire. I smoked some ribs for about 3 1/2 hours....and in the process I busted the tile. it split and spalled right where I had the mortar packed in, all the way up it's length. So I will be chiseling it out and replacing it. I don't have a picture of the tile yet but here is the brickwork I did.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Apprentice

But how were the ribs??

I did the same thing. After adding mortar around the base of the clay chimney flue it cracked in a spiderweb top to bottom, but it did not split in two so I left it. When I put the second and third pipes on top of the cracked one I used just a thin patch of mortar and high temp caulk at the top. I fired it up and the top pipes cracked sounding like a firecracker. I don't know what it takes to not crack these things.

dave
Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

I mentioned the problem with the clay flue pipe.
This is what it looked like.

I replaced it and started cutting and laying brick again. I feel like I am about to have a break thru that will drag me across the finish line.

A couple weeks and I should be putting a roof on it.

Last edited by WoodchuckDad; 09-12-2010 at 07:48 PM.