Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   North SA Pub oven (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/north-sa-pub-oven-17270.html)

wotavidone 01-20-2012 11:08 PM

North SA Pub oven

1 Attachment(s)
Kid at work was telling me how she was having a little drink in a local pub when the publican announced a free beer for everyone who helped him build an oven.
Apparently it was constucted fro red bricks cut in half and assembled with lime and cement mortar. The floor is red brick on a steel tray.
It was all done and dusted in a weekend.
I asked if it worked OK and my informant said, "it works great, it cooks a pizza in 15 minutes".
A little hard to see in the photo I just shot over the beer garden fence with the wife's phone, but the unbraced corners sag a bit, and there is clearly no insulation, and I swear I could see daylight through a couple of the mortar joints.

david s 01-20-2012 11:28 PM

Re: North SA Pub oven

Hope they poured some decent foundations. The stand looks a little precarious.

david s 01-21-2012 04:02 AM

Probably used the "she'll be right" method rather than a spirit level.

TropicalCoasting 01-21-2012 04:17 AM

When the cheese starts sliding of the pizzas they will probably prop it up with a 4x2.

brickie in oz 01-21-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wotavidone (Post 126003)
a free beer for everyone who helped him build an oven.

A free beer?
He obviously got what he paid for, when it collapses and injures someone it will cost more than a beer to get out of it.

Neil2 01-21-2012 12:25 PM

I do not know the foundation details or soil conditions, but following is a simple technique that is unlikly to cause damage.

If it starts to lean too much you can try to stabilize or even right the oven by placing a large amount of weight on the ground on the "up hill" side. By "large amount" I suggest something of the order of 500 or more lbs.

This may take some time, but will eventually compress the soil on that side and start righting the oven.

brickie in oz 01-21-2012 12:29 PM

Neil, do you by any chance come from Pisa in Italy? :D

brickie in oz 01-21-2012 12:43 PM

All the pubs are dying because most ppl are now scared to get caught for drink-driving so they drink at home.

Neil2 01-21-2012 01:03 PM

"Neil, do you by any chance come from Pisa in Italy?"

No, but you are right. The counterweight technique was used in part to stabilize the leaning tower.

It is a cheap, easy and largely no-risk method of stopping and righting leaning due to settlement.