Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

More progress this weekend. Last weekend I was in San Francisco for my sister-in-law-to-be's bridal shower and a friend's 40th anniversary party (two parties, one weekend, now that's a trip I can justify!). I spent several hours yesterday and today filling the last of the cores in the stand and the elevated herb garden. Today I got to start the fun stuff--applying the stacked stone veneer to the garden bed! I've never been one for jigsaw puzzles, but this was very satisfying. I'll post pictures as soon as smugmug is up and running again.

I wore my heart rate monitor today as I was working, out of curiosity. I burned 1600 calories working today. Who needs the gym? I should just become a mason.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Journeyman

Here it is, my lovely herb-garden-to-be:

I'm going to have the guy who made the stone veneer make capstones for me so that the garden walls can be used as overflow seating when we're having a big pizza party.

PSA:
In case anyone is in the market for concrete at the moment, Lowes has the 40lb bags of quickrete on clearance for $1.30 each.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Master Builder

Nikki,

Looks great! Is that how you plan to finish the oven?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
Nikki,

Looks great! Is that how you plan to finish the oven?
Yep, the stand, the wing with the prep surface, and the pony wall that will go behind the grill will all be faced in the same stone. I haven't figured out what to do with the curved seating wall and fire-pit. There's no way I can make this stuff work on a curve.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Apprentice

omg...this really does look like fun. What was that you said "over do"?
Not for AZ. I loved the outdoor living during the winter I spent there. Because of the climate its really rather practical.
Berryst

Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Master Builder

cool. An oppurtunity to add to my education.

What is a pony wall?

The stone veneer is looking great!!!

Chrsto

Old 07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Journeyman

The way I've heard the term "pony wall" used is to describe a low wall designed to divide a space, not a structural wall. So it might not be exactly appropriate to use the term in an outside context, but it fit the description otherwise, so I'm sticking with it.

Something like this:

Remodeling : Types / Materials : Pony Wall Room Divider : Home & Garden Television
Old 07-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Master Builder

works for me and I like the concept of giving outdoor rooms a bit of structure.

I may have to work one into my patio plan - Right now it seems a bit huge....

Christo

Old 08-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Journeyman

I'm back from nearly two weeks away at my brother-in-law's wedding. I made the cake, so we drove to San Francisco about a week ahead of time to give me enough time to work. The actual wedding cake turned out a bit wonky, but I managed to pull it together reasonably well. Let's just say that an enthusiastically helpful father-of-the-bride, lots of tequila, a center dowel, and a mallet don't mix all that well. But it was free and it tasted good, so they couldn't complain. ;-)

Groom's cake:

Wedding cake:

This evening I was able to get a little bit of progress made. I built wooden supports to go under the backerboard and cut the backerboard to size. I got a neighbor with metal-working skills to drill an extra hole in a steel brace that will span the gap and provide extra support. I'm ready to build the form and pour the hearth. I'm going to try to do that sometime this week, while DH is off at U. Illinois on business.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow, what fantastic cakes! What was inside them, traditional fruit cake? And hey, do you make all those little flowers yourself, too? It all looks nearly too beautiful to eat.