Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

I picked up all the block for the project today! I took the first load in my old Pathfinder, but the people at the landscape supply company *really* wanted me to find a friend with a truck to pick up the two full pallets of 8x8x16s. I don't blame them, in this heat. I was able to impose on our brand-new neighbors (so new they don't have their household goods yet). He achieved favorite neighbor status and lots of free future pizza for his gracious help ferrying the block.

We didn't ask him to do any heavy lifting. I unloaded from the pallet and handed them down to my husband on the ground, where he stacked them. My task tomorrow will be to move them all to the back yard. Then the real fun begins!

No, I didn't wear flip-flops and snowy white pants for the unloading of concrete. But I did want something of a self-portrait atop my driveway pyramid.

Here are some general concept plans for the space. Drawn on freezer paper. Things have changed a bit since the foundation was set down, but not substantially.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

Great job on everything so far! My only comment is that I too was intimidated by the foundation pour. I was so happy that I hired it done that I called the guy back later to pour the hearth. I am glad I did, when I saw how much "muscle" it took. That left me some energy and creativity to finish.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Master Builder

Great pictures, Nikki! Thanks for sharing. That's quite a stack of blocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Serf

Hey Nikki I live in Goodyear and am getting ready to work on my oven but have not wanted to work out in 112 degree weather with cement. If it starts going well for you I will use you as inspiration to get off my butt. Good luck!

Ray
Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Journeyman

Today's efforts in the 110+ degree heat:

My husband is on his way to Baltimore for work, so this was all my own effort and sweat. Lots of sweat.

One thing I encountered and didn't read about before: the concrete blocks are nice and flat on one side, and not entirely flat on the other. That made the walls ever so slightly wobbly. I presume this is normal, and that the filling of the cores with concrete and rebar will do the last bit of stabilization?

I'm planning on doing a pour a lot like Elizabeth's for the hearth. Anyone else span the gap without using metal L brackets and concrete block? Anything learned that you'd like to share before I start that part of the project?

Last edited by Modthyrth; 07-06-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Master Builder

I just finished that part of my block stand. I can say that I found it to be a real pain to grind out the groove needed for the angle iron to be recessed. If you have an alternative that won't effect the integrity of the hearth, go for it!

Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRay View Post
Hey Nikki I live in Goodyear and am getting ready to work on my oven but have not wanted to work out in 112 degree weather with cement. If it starts going well for you I will use you as inspiration to get off my butt. Good luck!

Ray
Hey Ray--

The heat is a large portion of why I wanted to have a pro pour the foundation. I gather that it's a lot easier to mess up in high heat. It's been pretty miserable hauling the materials around, but at least I'll have the oven ready to enjoy by the time we start having glorious weather in the fall!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Master Builder

Nikki, you can put a little sand or dry mortar mix on your blocks if you want to help the levelling.....not actually necessary as the rebar and concrete will give you full stabilization but it makes it feel good!.

I would also hose down the entire stand before doing your cores as it will help the concrete flow and cure, particularly where it's hot and dry.

Oh, I used three concrete landscaping bricks to make the arch in the Benjamia oven stand....worked fine!

jim
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Journeyman

Hey Jim--

Great idea to wet down the stand before pouring. I had my big helper take care of that job:

I only had energy and time to fill four cores today. I have Masters Swim practice tonight, and I needed to save some of my strength for that.

Cutting the rebar was fun! I only wish someone had been around to take pictures of the sparks.

I've always felt able and accomplished, and have always had an instinct to make. I got my first real toolbox when I was 3, and grew up watching my parents undertake all manner of projects. But nothing I've done felt quite as meaningfully handy as cutting rebar. Not building furniture, carving a large dala horse, building a playhouse, building a harp (ok, I was only my dad's assistant on that one). I cut it. Metal. METAL. I love this project!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modthyrth View Post

I cut it. Metal. METAL. I love this project!
It is fun, but I'm looking forward to cutting pizza. You got a great start and your little helper is awesome! She is obviously doing good work. Enjoy it my friend - before you know it you will be posting pictures of a graduation. :-( :-)
I went to school in Phoenix - I know full well of the heat. The upside is you will probably use very little wood in the summer, considering you can fry eggs on the street.

Good luck with the build.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 07-09-2008 at 09:31 PM.