Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Nikki's 42" in Phoenix, where it's hot as a...

Wow, somehow I've missed your thread over the past few months but what great work - not just the oven but the cakes & gingerbread houses too! It all looks good and I can't wait to see what you do next.
Congratulations on your first fire too - it's pretty gratifying to get to that point isn't it? And it just gets better when the cooking begins!

Sarah
Old 12-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfiore View Post
Nice flame!!!

That little gingerbread village needs a mini WFO in the back!
Wow, why didn't I think of that?? The next house I decorate is totally having a little candy WFO.

I picked up an SUVload of wood today. The place I went recommended the small splits (already the right size for the pizza oven) of their hardwood cooking mix. I have a mix of apple, citrus, olive, and almond. I'm going to pick up some mesquite, too, to see how I like working with that. It's all over the place here, so it's easy to get, though I read that it doesn't make quite as nice a coal bed as the stuff I already bought.

I get to use kindling tomorrow! Guess it's time to seriously read that top-down method thread. I've only lightly browsed it before, and retained absolutely none of the information.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow Nikki, congratulations!

Tardis, ginger bread ovens, fire pics, and pizzas real soon - cool, cool ,cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Journeyman

I built my last curing fire today--fun stuff! Now that's a good Christmas present!

I only got the top half of the dome to go white, so I guess I need to build it even bigger next time. I'm sure I'm still driving moisture out, too, and will have an easier time getting the oven nice and hot as time goes on. That insulating blanket works gorgeously--the outside was perfectly cold the whole time.

I'm loving the top-down fire, too. It's way easier than trying to reach in and build a teepee of wood in the middle of the dome.

Last edited by Modthyrth; 12-26-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Apprentice

Nikki,
Is the wood expensive in the desert? I have wood coming out of my ears in Michigan. Then again, it is under a foot of snow.

Nice fire.

fb66
Old 12-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullback66 View Post
Nikki,
Is the wood expensive in the desert? I have wood coming out of my ears in Michigan. Then again, it is under a foot of snow.
fb66
I have no idea--I've never bought wood anywhere else. I got a standard pickup bed of mesquite delivered for $100 (that's about 1/3 cord, I believe). I picked up a hardwood cooking mix (various fruit and nut woods) for $70 for what could fit in the back of my pathfinder. That was slightly more expensive, per volume, but came from a more reputable actual dealer rather than someone who was clearing roads in his ranchland (mesquite guy). Both are well seasoned and already cut to the right size for a pizza oven, which made the cost a little higher. Is that expensive?
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Apprentice

That sound O.K. to me if there are not a lot of trees around. I do not use the good fruit woods. I use any hardwood I find. There is plenty here in MI at a good price. $0.

I like the picture of your belly. When I first saw the picture I thought of Austin Powers.

"GET IN MY BELLY"
fb66
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Journeyman

We made our first pizzas! We made eight different pizzas and 24 tiny garlic knots. Absolutely delicious, and incredibly fun!

My husband showing off his dough tossing skills:

Placing the first pie. I didn't have turning technique down yet and made something of a pizza doughnut with a nice hole in the middle, but it still tasted fabulous!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Journeyman

My favorite: proscuitto, mozarella, spinach. Yes, I know you're supposed to put the proscuitto on after cooking, but I love the texture it has when it's cooked.

Cheese, basil, olive oil for my daughter who doesn't like sauce:

I call this success! Let's do it again on New Year's eve!

Old 12-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fantastic Nikki!!! The pizza's look awesome. The pie in the air is a very cool pic. Keep us posted when the real deal comes out of the oven. Crongrats...

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.