Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   New NC build (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/new-nc-build-10573.html)

stonejohn 01-22-2010 08:17 PM

New NC build

5 Attachment(s)
Here I go, posting the first pics, so far so good, 12 or 14 manhours in so far.
footings and slab, blocked out to high, lowered the stand I should be cooking around 40" or so looks good. I used some 6" block on the sides I had them and the still have a core to fill, I just filled each core. Loads of great info here and really looking forward to cooking, eating.

EADavis 01-22-2010 09:50 PM

Re: New NC build

Stonejohn,
From the pictures, it looks like you have a lot of Southern Pines that will be used for firewood after the next hurricane blows through! I know, I lived in Cary for 13 years, and lost a dozen large trees to Hurricane Fran. If only I had a WFO back then...

Looking good!
Ed

chuckster 01-23-2010 06:35 AM

Looks like you've got a good start on it! Won't be long and it will be warmer, then you can really move on the rest.

I just live about 18 miles north on 54 from you. Where 54 crosses the Haw River.

Chuckster

trockyh 01-23-2010 06:35 AM

Looks good stonejohn. This is a fun project, sometimes frustrating, but it will be worth it when you can cook in your oven. At least that is what I gather from everyone here as I'm not done with mine yet.
Keep up the good work.

Tom

stonejohn 01-30-2010 09:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi All, just posting some more pix, formwork, rebar, and pour of the platform,
all looks pretty much the same as others, The BIG news is my boulder got delived 3746lbs, it looks like a giant handprint in wet clay. I'm trying to clean up my posts, to make it easier to follow and to post.
Thanks
John

stonejohn 01-30-2010 04:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did some wet saw cutting a couple of evenings ago, cut the floor and the soldier course. I decided to cut 20 degrees off like "Pizza Bobs" build, I also liked the idea of a "floating floor" not so much for brick repair, but I feel that with expansion from the heat cycles having no mortar bond between the floor and the dome will be good. I am also thinking of a similiar method at the connection between the dome and the arch. Does any body have any idea what a tight fitted cut simply butted up against the arch would do to the overall performance of the dome? I've seen a couple of real bad cracks at the arch and dome connection, would like to avoid that. Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks
John

stonejohn 02-08-2010 06:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi All, Snow in NC, I moved south to get away from it, at least only got a couple of inches. It still held me up a little, removed the form and set the vermiculite mix form, just under the hearth and entrance. It was my first time mixing the insulated concrete, at first a little too wet got the hang of it though "oatmeal" was a good likeness. I gave the forms a couple of days and pulled them. I formed up the surrounding concrete and will pour this week. I'm looking forward to the dome. but I might dress out the base first, and wait for some better weather for the oven itself.Thanks for all the info here!
John

trockyh 02-08-2010 07:16 PM

John, your insulated slab looks great. Hope you get nice weather soon.

Tom

KINGRIUS 02-10-2010 02:45 PM

So far looking good! I am up here in the mountains in Asheville. I know what a drag this cold weather has been for oven builds!

I see why you call yourself stonejohn! Maybe I missed it somewhere, but what are you planning on doing with your immense 1.87 ton boulder?

Darius

stonejohn 02-10-2010 07:15 PM

Hey Darius, Im going to put a stone wall and run it into the boulder. I have some others to mix in the wall, nothing as big though. Weather is a total drag, I moved south to get away from the stuff. I'm going to visit Asheville this summer, but I said that last year too!

John