Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Brick Oven Photos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/)
-   -   New Build in the UK (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/new-build-uk-17939.html)

Spinal 06-20-2012 05:34 PM

New Build in the UK
 
So following on from my introduction thread, this is my new build. I had made an oven before (and failed miserably) as a 12 year old - but it ended up a (very large) cube of clay bricks and steel angle-irons with no airflow and wouldn't light without petrol.

So here's my first "educated" attempt...

Breaking ground & Digging the pit for the foundation
Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube">Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
(not sure if there's an embedded player supported here for youtube - so here's the link: Breaking Ground - Worf Helps Out! - YouTube)

Laying the foundation breeze blocks and hardcore/rubble
http://s14.postimage.org/7kunvymrl/foundation.jpg

The outer wall is now halfway up - and I'm starting to make the shapes for the arches out of foam board...
http://s18.postimage.org/fe7u19uqx/half_wall.jpg

Spinal 06-20-2012 05:35 PM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)
http://s16.postimage.org/qe0zmvynn/IMG_2244.jpg

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:
http://s16.postimage.org/ca54ehrg5/IMG_2245.jpg

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!
http://s16.postimage.org/ht7nvpohf/IMG_2243.jpg

Spinal 06-20-2012 05:37 PM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
Finally (for today); detail of the rebar on the inside (set in mortar to get the height right). These will form the core of 4 (maybe 6) pillars that will add strength to the structure. concrete will be poured in once the walls are at the right height, so the concrete bonds to the bricks on 2 sides and the floor/foundation/concrete slab on the bottom.

http://s14.postimage.org/6yb3q4r81/IMG_2248.jpg

Note that as this is the inside surface of the "under-oven" area; it's not cleaned out and the mortar is just left as is in the joints. Does it add strength? No idea... but it certainly doesn't take any away - so it's there :p

UtahBeehiver 06-20-2012 08:36 PM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
I did the same with my concrete block base, who cares, nobody see it , spend your time and skill where is visible...................like what you are doing.

cleverdick 06-21-2012 04:32 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinal (Post 133543)
Can't post more than 5 pics at a time... so here's another post!

Arch then goes up (still needs grouting... didn't feel confident doing the mortaring and grouting in one step!)
http://s16.postimage.org/qe0zmvynn/IMG_2244.jpg

Detail of the rebar inside the bricks - this specific one is the bricks that stick out of the wall to support the arch:
http://s16.postimage.org/ca54ehrg5/IMG_2245.jpg

Other angle on the arch - not perfect, but it is my first arch ever after all!
http://s16.postimage.org/ygz5y7j8z/IMG_2243.jpg

Looking good!

I wasn't confident about building an arch straight on, so I built both of mine round a wood former, on a frame. You always have this option if yours doesn't go to plan.

This is my inner arch under construction.

Spinal 07-30-2012 03:18 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
1 Attachment(s)
Realised I haven't posted an update for a while!

Right, so the concrete floor went in before I went on holiday. Took the chance to dunk both my other half and my dog in, so I have hand/paw prints in the concrete... (and had a friend come over to water the concrete when it didn't rain).

Got back last week, and over the weekend I started building the support to pour the concrete slab.

The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top :p) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.

brickie in oz 07-30-2012 03:32 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.

Spinal 07-30-2012 03:36 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brickie in oz (Post 135780)
Those pissy little lathes wont hold, they will bulge with the side load of concrete.

See previous message...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinal (Post 135779)
The base is now done (using about 15 wooden supports underneath - strong enough to support 2 people jumping on top :p) - but the sides are temporary.

I still need to re-inforce the sides so that when the concrete is poured they don't end up bulging. Hoping to do that this week during the week, so I can pour over the weekend.

Picture attached.

M.


UtahBeehiver 07-30-2012 07:20 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
M,

I did not think WFOs ever got Holidays, at least that is what the better half tells me. Going to watch your build with interest. LIke your brick base. Afraid my "finish" mason skills are lacking but I can fill the gap with mortar with the best of em....

Spinal 07-30-2012 07:33 AM

Re: New Build in the UK
 
3 Attachment(s)
Two of the pics aren't showing up... thought I would upload them here in case the image host dies...

Still not decided on how to do the top... part of me wants to make it out of bricks, part out of board... and another just wants to make a dome!

M.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC