Old 07-30-2012, 08:10 AM
Laborer

Default Re: New Build in the UK

Also realised I had a gap in the story!

Moulds for reinforcing pillars go up:

View of these from the top; where you can see some stainless rebar:

Meanwhile - I poured some concrete into the BBQ area nearby. Some issues around the manhole cover as the existing concrete was cracked... ended up removing most of it and pouring fresh one to make a single slab. This will probably be covered by slate at some point.

While waiting, I started playing with some faces for the front of the oven...

M.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Laborer

Then,

Poured concrete into the moulds: (note that there is some seepage on the sides, but I'm not too concerned about that as it'll all be hidden from view)

Floor gets poured once the wooden moulds are removed (yups, it's rough... but it'll be hidden from view, so I wasn't worried. Also, it may get covered subsequently if I end up doing my cart/drawer idea! - but you can see the various prints in it)

And finally, a celebratory hug!

Last edited by Spinal; 07-30-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Laborer

Right - concrete floating slab now poured!

Reinforcing wood now up; temporary ones removed after I put some concrete to get the corners in the right places:

Measuring the 15mm steel rebar reinforcing mesh.

Steel cut, and bound together with some wire (was going to weld it, then realised I was out of gas and couldn't be bothered to goto the store).

M
Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Laborer

Concrete poured and smoothed to check if it's level (I then roughed it up a bit so that the vermicrete will bond to it)

The keener amongst you will notice that it's not a perfect 10cm thick as originally planned, it's actually closer to 12-14 cm thick. Shouldn't be a problem, but I may need to raise the floor (where the pizza chef will stand) a bit as it may end up to high!

M
Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

M,

Making headway, pretty soon oven brick work.............based on your base brick work, it should be a breeze for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Laborer

Thanks ! Getting worried now, as I'm starting to realise how many mistakes I've made! Like the brickwork, I was looking at how to grout it only to realise that I should have used more mortar when bricking and removed it with a tool to get a better finish. Oh well, it'll be the long/complex way now!

Also, trying to decide on the shape of the door opening (full arch or straight sides); and how much vermicrete to use... tempted to put 20cm or so; but then I would need to raise the floor. Initially this was going to be the plan as I was going to put slate down, but now I'm tempted to leave the floor for a while...

Similarly, the roof, I have half an idea to integrate an oven into the chimney so I can use the exhaust gases to bake potatoes or something... but I also want to make a beavertail chimney so it's in the center. Also, I want to integrate a brickwork BBQ on one side... so many ideas, so few plans

As ironic as it sounds, I need some rain to slow me down so I can plan before I do anything. (even though I poured concrete in the rain today... quite weird... was using plastic sheets to stop the concrete from getting too wet and to stop the mixer's plug getting wet

M.