Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 AM
Laborer

Default Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvm View Post
Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?
It is a lower design half way between the Tuscan and the Neapolitan. The Naples for a 42" diameter has the roof at a low 15.5 inches while the Tuscan is 21". Mine is more a hybrid with an oven height around 19". This places my oven (per Google Earth) around about Rome. So mine would be a Romany oven?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Apprentice

I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Laborer

Quote:
I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.
Just the bottom of the bricks so far. Some update photos to follow from this weekend
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 AM
Apprentice

Just when I had my angles and bevels figured out, the dome curved over and the angles (which had been in creasing slowly needed to decrease and the bevel which seemed like it would never change has increased rapidly and dramatically on the last few courses! Mortar saves the day.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Laborer

Checking my angles and it seams I'm right on track. I set up a flat pattern side profile to work out how each tier angle would have to be cut.....So far so good said the man falling off a cliff.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Apprentice

You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:22 AM
Laborer

Quote:
You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!
Yes, lots of wood stacked, that's just a small portion. I have at least a dozen more trees to fell, buck, cut, split, and then stack. (I call the place the Pilchuck Health Club) Most of this wood will be used in the fire pit next to the oven, then later in the main house when it is built. What I'm looking for is local people that have apple or other fruit trees that need trimming or felling. Those would make for good oven wood. Have chain saw will travel
Old 07-18-2012, 06:25 AM
Laborer

Here's a pic of the entrance and smoke stack hole.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip
Yep optical illusion, wide angle lenses on small cameras I'll try to get a better depiction this weekend, and lay more bricks