Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Laborer

Default Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Actually Tom, if you study it a bit more carefully you find that the heaviest part of the oven is not at the perimeter, but somewhere closer in. For this reason I believe that a cantileverd stand, under the supporting slab is a stronger solution. Ultimately is doesn't really matter so long as the thing is strong enough so it doesn't fail.
Well to be safe, I've installed an adjustable steel building support post and a large steel disk on the top of the post (It was laying around the property so perfect and free). The post will not really get in the way of the wood storage.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).
Yes true, I was thinking of an igloo which has very little mass outside the inner dome.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Apprentice

man7sell
How goes the build?

My road to pizza is documented here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Laborer

I was trying to do an update using photobucket today but the site's not working correctly today. I will try from another computer
Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Laborer

Huh, must be my other computer's java is out of date. Works from my MAC Update to come.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Laborer

Made a version of the indispensable tool (IT) for the dome build. Used hardware from Home Depot and stuff I had laying around. Works great and is fully adjustable. Up to the third course now. At this point it is time to build the entranceway to allow the intersection of the dome to tie in with the entrance.

Each brick gets cut 3 ways to radius the dome and create to dome profile.

Here's the IT made from a castor wheel I had and a piece of threaded rod. (Never throw anything away right?).

OK, don't get a photo of me everyday, usually the one taking the photos.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Peasant

Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCorum View Post
Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.
No idea what the strength rating of the concrete is. Rebar should support the load.

The concrete pad underneath was the work of my next door neighbor out there. He was really good at it. Later we will add mosaic tile on it to match whatever design we come up with for the oven
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Apprentice

Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?

My road to pizza is documented here: