Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

Looks great. My interior arch looked like crap too, until I trimmed it and fitted the smoke chamber. The first interior arch, for that matter, I knocked down while cleaning the interior and had to rebuild it completely.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I almost grabbed my makita with a surface grinder to smooth out the arch, but eh...I seriously doubt it will be an issue, when the vent goes in. Plus the outside granite arch will have clean lines and I think the eye will be drawn to that. Or I'll just reach in with the grinder and have at it.
brickie in oz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is offset so it looked pretty funky when built. I cut it flush with the barrel to facilitate the vent, even though it is all covered up. The left side is flush with the vault, the right extends 2-3 inches above it prior to cutting it off.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did 45 the upper half of the arch on the interior face to help with the draft, worth doing if you don't want smoke stains.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks fine to me!

I knew going in that it might look weird...turning an arch with square units never looks good to me, but I didn't feel like all the cutting was worth it, especially since it will be very low visibility and function normally. I may reach in there with the grinder and bevel my edges on the inside like you did...forgot to do that! Maybe while I'm at it, my ocd will kick in and the arch will get some fine tuning too.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

On the low done Neapolitan I did, I just ground it after building instead of cutting prior to fitting, it probably worked better that way.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Make your outer decorative arch,if you plan on having one, bigger than the entry arch or you will have trouble fitting the door easily.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes David, that is something I am well aware of....all of the ovens I built in the past have larger vents and outer entries. The granite arch I have mentioned is going to be the outer one...following the line of the vent. It will be around three inches wider than the oven opening.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Master Builder

Looking good there man, keep it up.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another fire today, I'm guessing between 400*-550*...maybe a touch hotter. Cracking in the cladding allowed a lot of moisture and puffs of steam to escape...but the joints inside the dome are still tight. I also sanded and second slurried the watertable today, should have those installed by the end of the weekend.

My Wood fired Redux-img_1469-new1.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1470-new2.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1471-new3.jpg

Made use of that test panel of perlcrete...holding the heat in the oven after the fire dies down for a long slow cure. V-wiz, this is what I try to do when I cure ovens...and it works well. But as SCChris pointed out, maintaining the temp is a challenge and all day firings aren't always practical.
My Wood fired Redux-img_1468-new44.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin