Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12spirit View Post
Regardless of the wood involved in the finishing, I believe that this oven could keep its perfect shape for decades, though I'm still not convinced why stonecutter involved wood in the finishing...,
Another aspect of this oven is that there is no concrete footing, because as mentioned, the project was never intended for what you see now. Also, the stone base itself has no mortar in it, except the top course- that is the bond beam for the watertable pieces that separate the base from the enclosure. I know how to build solid drystone structures, having done arched bridges and foundations for old homes, but all those have solid footings. So far I see no evidence if settling, as I check the vault, and bed joints of the watertable for cracking. This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

Wood framing is a common building method in North America and Europe, and can last for centuries if cared for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

Wood framing is a common building method in North America and Europe, and can last for centuries if cared for.
That makes the project original; regarding the firsts, and authentic; being like the ancient Roman structures laid directly on the ground. I started to understand your philosophy of the oven. I hope it will not settle to prove the validity of this stonework. The whole thing is a brilliant idea.

How is wood framing "cared for"? I'm starting to look differently at wood.

Last edited by v12spirit; 08-25-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
That makes the project original; regarding the firsts, and authentic; being like the ancient Roman structures laid directly on the ground. I started to understand your philosophy of the oven. I hope it will not settle to prove the validity of this stonework. The whole thing is a brilliant idea.
Believe it or not, most structures in Ancient Rome ( and other great stone structures) had legitimate foundations, if they were not set on bed rock. As to the validity of the stonework, building a dry stone structure can be as solid than one build with mortar...in some cases it is superior! If there's one thing consistent with my build, it that recycled material makes a decent final product. I appreciate your thoughts on my build.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

How is wood framing "cared for"? I'm starting to look differently at wood.
For one thing, you have to know your material ( true of any natural product ) and be mindful of how it weathers. You need to pay attention to flashing, capillary breaks, condensation points and possible insect damage. Allowing the wood to 'breathe' is important, trapped water causes rot and attracts wood eating insects. Good quality stains, paint, sealers, oil and even wax can help preserve wood. Wood has better tensile strength than masonry, and of course it's a lot lighter..sometimes that is a needed feature.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 08-25-2014, 02:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Another aspect of this oven is that there is no concrete footing, because as mentioned, the project was never intended for what you see now. Also, the stone base itself has no mortar in it, except the top course- that is the bond beam for the watertable pieces that separate the base from the enclosure. I know how to build solid drystone structures, having done arched bridges and foundations for old homes, but all those have solid footings. So far I see no evidence if settling, as I check the vault, and bed joints of the watertable for cracking. This project was mostly driven by firsts...first load bearing gothic vault, first cedar roof, first handcarved one piece arch, etc. At some point, if I start to see any evidence that the structure is settling too much, then I will take this oven down, pour a slab, then build anew!

G'day stonecutter
Sounded a bit crazy at first, but I know myself sometimes you do things for yourself that you would never do for someone else. If you have only yourself to please you'll do whatever . Your whatever is still pretty impressive though
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G'day stonecutter
Sounded a bit crazy at first, but I know myself sometimes you do things for yourself that you would never do for someone else. If you have only yourself to please you'll do whatever . Your whatever is still pretty impressive though
Regards dave
Perhaps the same kind of crazy and wonder the first time you pulled an arch form and the brick miraculously stayed in place?

Building a structure without a concrete footing is just about knowing your material, subgrade structure, load forces, material limits, etc,etc,etc. I have rebuilt many load bearing dry stone structures and foundations for early homes and barns with no concrete footing, but the ground was prepped for it-top soil removed to subgrade, riprap, then small aggregate. And you need to make sure the base is free draining, or you just created a bathtub. The dry stone method works, lasts for centuries and in some ways and applications it's better than concrete.

I have done it for others, many of them are paying clients. But you won't see me RECOMMENDING others to build that way...not unless they are experienced in the craft of stone building. There are way too many variables, too many things that could go wrong at every step.

You are not simply 'dry stacking' the stone. Stacking is for firewood.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 08-25-2014 at 03:50 PM.