Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

I had a little extra material so I made this little panel to see how it would hold up. Out of the four ovens built, only one has a block surround...the rest have a wood framed enclosure. After insulating, I encase the oven with durock as an extra precaution...9 years and no issues with the 3 ovens. So I got to thinking about making my own panels out of perlcrete. This sample was compacted in lifts, so it is pretty solid. I don't care about insulation r-value too much, since it is not the primary insulation on the oven. The next sample will be around 1 1/2" thick...this one is 2.75". I'm not sure what I will settle on dimensionally just yet...probably something like 1.5' x 2'. I am going to add a polymer to the water to help bind the perlite particles a little more, and go richer on the mix...something like 3 or 4 :1

The sample....

My Wood fired Redux-img_1385-new.jpg

My Wood fired Redux-img_1386-new.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-13-2013, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Here is what I am doing with the cast concrete. These are experimental and won't be used, but they give an idea of what the two layers will look like.
Dogonit! Stonecutter,
Full scale esperiments Youv'e got more money to spare than me .
Seriosusly, from what I can see, the earth tones you are using will match your stone perfectly. Can't wait to see the finished product .

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Dogonit! Stonecutter,
Full scale esperiments Youv'e got more money to spare than me .
Seriosusly, from what I can see, the earth tones you are using will match your stone perfectly. Can't wait to see the finished product .
HA! It's not cash flow, I'm using material I have hanging around. I am actually thinking more grey for the cast pieces. There is going to be quite a bit of granite work on the enclosure and I think it will look better...well, IMO anyway.
Gulf likes this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I mix the portland and water together, then fold it into the perlite.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I dry mixed out of habit..you know, mortar... thinking wet mixing might need longer to coat everything even and avoid clumps. I'll give it a try when I cast my panels.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, dry mix definitely doesn't work with perlcrete.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I am actually thinking more grey for the cast pieces. There is going to be quite a bit of granite work on the enclosure and I think it will look better...well, IMO anyway.
Well, then it will be perfect . Your's is the only opinion that really counts!..........................unless you are married .
stonecutter likes this.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
.....unless you are married .
We have discussed this. However, the oven is sovereign husband territory and she can't press her rights there. When it functions as a cooking tool is another story.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 03-31-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Yeah, dry mix definitely doesn't work with perlcrete.
Actually, I thought it worked well. I liked how you can tell if the particles were coated, as opposed to vermiculite..a little harder to see. I like the idea of creating a 'slip' with the portland and water though...I'll try it next.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It works, but it generates too much dust.