Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Brick Oven Photos

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: My Wood fired Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
No worries Dave ( in my best OZ accent ) happy to answer questions. The stone I am going to use would typically be thought as flagging.....large, flat, irregular paving stone.

It is not slate, but a type of metamorphosed sandstone, which varies in thickness, from 1/4"-3/4". Here is a pic I posted earlier in the thread. This is what I am shooting for....
Attachment 40591

I haven't done one like this yet, but to me it's not unlike other types of stonework I have experience with so I'm not concerned....it drills nicely too. I'm pretty psyched to do this...and I returned all my cedar shakes so I wouldn't back out again.
That looks like Switzerland. Those small barns are scattered all over the place there. I agree its a great look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is Switzerland Garner, good eye.. But that type of roofing is done all over Europe and Asia too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nothing on the roof yet, but I should get something going in a week or so. Speaking of going, it looks like we will be leaving this oven behind in a few months.

Now I get to build yet another one for myself ( going to do a 42" Neo w/ a squirrel tail), in addition to another for a friend, possibly a third for a client...seems like it will be a good year to build ovens!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-03-2014, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Another move? And leaving another oven behind... Wow
But more ovens to build!
But why a squirrel tale ? I always thought that they were more suited to a commercial use. Flashed 12/7 . But in a domestic use would be prone to heat loss.
Please correct me on that
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why the squirrel tail? Because I haven't built one on a front venting, freestanding oven yet....a couple historic beehives I have though. As far as heat loss, I am building the flue different than the ones you mention, the main thing will be that there will be insulation over the whole dome... So there is not the same concern as the commercial ovens, which are uninsulated in that section, and used inside only, and constantly fired.

As far as building goes, I have the privilege to work with masonry full time, and to be honest, as soon as something is done ( or almost done as is the case with this oven) I'm looking toward the next project...to try new things, and implement new designs.

One thing I really want to do with my next home oven is a ribbed cross vaulted base...something I nixed on this one. The planned diameter is 42", so I'll have a larger base than here, and that is better for cross vaulting. A major difference is that we are moving back into stone country, so now I have access to a much bigger variety of stone to work with. Can't wait .

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 01-04-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

But then again, my ideas and design can change between then and now.......
brickie in oz and Gulf like this.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Serf

HOLY CRAP!!!

I've just read the entire build thread, your workmanship and attention to detail is spectacular. I'm blown away.

And now as you're almost finished you're leaving it

I can't wait to see what you do next.

Jordan.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ice storms do have their uses.....

My Wood fired Redux-image.jpg

iPhone flipped the pic....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-20-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
ice storms do have their uses.....

Attachment 42175

iphone flipped the pic....
........My Wood fired Redux-skjdflidsjldsfsdnf-dsjnf-s.jpg.........

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Picked up the cedar shakes again, I should get a chance to pick away at it, and have it done by the middle of next week.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin